Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI URL access permission

Hi All,

I am new to Power BI. 

I have installed the trial version of PowerBI Report server and Power BI desktop.

After installation and configuration, I have the PowerBI url like this http://server/BI

Now everyone in my organization is able to access this URL. How can I restrict anonymous access to this url? (I am able to limit folder level access from Manage Folder - Security)

Appreciate your assistance here.

Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous wrote:

What does this below security setting do? 

johnjustus_0-1668173194982.png

That controls who can see the root level Home folder. Setting permissions at that level effectively controls who can access the URL. If people do not have access they will not see any content when accessing the base URL

If "everyone" can see all the content in the home folder then that would meant that you have added "everyone" as local admins on the server. Content Manager is the highest level of access which means that people can add/remove content and control permissions. You should remove unnecessary people from the local admin role on the server.

Normally I will add the "Domain Users" group for the domain as a "Browser" for the home folder. The create a number of top level folders (eg. Finance, Marketing, Sales ) and set different permissions on those.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Whether the advice given by @d_gosbell  has solved your confusion, if the problem has been solved you can mark the reply for the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly. If not, please point it out.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Henry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the answer.

Everyone regardless of access to folder is able to acess the url, how can I limit access to the url itself?

And how can I login using admin acct and what would be the admin acct and where should I define the admin acct?

I installed the PBI server and the service runs on network service

Thanks,

John

@Anonymous wrote:

That controls who can see the root level Home folder. Setting permissions at that level effectively controls who can access the URL. If people do not have access they will not see any content when accessing the base URL

If "everyone" can see all the content in the home folder then that would meant that you have added "everyone" as local admins on the server. Content Manager is the highest level of access which means that people can add/remove content and control permissions. You should remove unnecessary people from the local admin role on the server.

Normally I will add the "Domain Users" group for the domain as a "Browser" for the home folder. The create a number of top level folders (eg. Finance, Marketing, Sales ) and set different permissions on those.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

I am able to limit folder level access from Manage Folder - Security

This is how you control access. The report server has a top level folder and if you do not give people access to that folder they will not be able to see any content when they hit that URL.

Anonymous users are disabled by default and no one has access to the home folder by default. After PBIRS is installed an admin has to go in and grant access to the home folder before anyone can access the portal.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.