Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Service vs Server

Hi,

Our business started using Power BI with an initial intention of using online services. We have a number of reports and dashboards build in the service version of the Power BI desktop ready for go live. The recent u-turn in the strategy to move to the server version raised a lot of questions, one of which is: will the team be able to edit current Power BI reports (pbix files) in the Power BI Sever Desktop and publish to the server, or will these need to be rebuilt?

Thank you

Sylvia

2 REPLIES 2
RobThrive
Resolver I
Resolver I

My current company were in a similar position when I joined recently. I quickly pulled them off PBI Service (it simply costs too much to get everyone access) I sometimes get a message from PBIX files that were created in the PBI desktop app used for service, when opening them in the PBI RS version of the desktop app.

The message mistakenly says it "cannot open file" but if you click OK, it opens anyway and you can do your changes and upload. I've not experienced any problems when pushing these files onto our PBI RS but your milage might vary depending on the features you've used.

At the time of writing this, I think we are expecting a new release of PBI RS during this month (2 weeks left) which should (for a short while) bring it pretty much up to date with the current Service version.

bradsy
Employee
Employee

Since there are two versions of PBI Desktop, the file format can at times can be out of compatibility. The PBI Cloud Service uses the latest PBIX file format. The PBI on premise Server uses up to 4 month old version, pending on how often there is a release.

Additionally some features may only be supported in one or the other location. But in general, the Service has all features.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.