Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nsingh11
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Service to Report Server on premise solution

Hi,

We have developed some reports on Power BI desktop tool via direct query and published to Power BI service on cloud.

Due to cloud hosted region restrictions, if the plan is to move all to the on premise solution(i.e. Report Server), what kind of changes are expected ?

Keeping in mind both desktop tools are different, can I use the same pbix file and open on Power BI desktop (Optimized version for Report server) ? Or all the reports needs to be developed again on the desktop tool for the report server?

I can see documentation on moving from Report server to the Cloud service. But is there any document for the other way round ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, if you are using August'22 PBI Desktop, best option is wait for September'22 PBI Desktop RS.

Direct Query for SAP BW is also supported in PBI Desktop RS and PBI RS.

Generaly, Direct Query mode has many limitation, on any source, and in PBI Premium same as PBI RS.

Main difference between PBI Premium and PBI RS (from model design perspective) is composite models. Some limitations of PBI RS can be easily reworked (like M:M relations), but some limitations hasn't alternative, especially composite models which combining direct-query and import-mode in single report. 

For save some time, I recommends reworks some single simple report using May'22 PBI Desktop RS. If you don't run into obstacles (unresolvable), then wait for September'22 for all other reports, to check easiest way: open pbix in PBI Destkop RS and save to PBI RS.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

It will work, you can open your pbix file, developed in Power BI Desktop (optimized for cloud), also in Power BI Desktop optimized for Report Server, and save as to on-premise Power BI Report Server.

But there are two limitations.

You cannot open pbix file in older version of PBI Desktop. And you cannot open file contains features not supported in RS (like composite models). 

Approach is easy, use up to may 2022 version, or wait for sep 2022 RS version. First remove all unsupported features in RS.

Thanks for the response.

The desktop tool for the current set of reports is of version August 2022 and for the report server the latest version is May 2022. In this case we are getting the version error while opening the pbix file. And I believe this is the limitation number 1 which you mentioned above, right ?

And also to add, we are using Direct Query via SAP BW for the current reports which already has a long list of limitations with Power BI desktop.

Any other option apart from the below ?

1. Wait for the Sept 2022 RS release

2. Re-develop the reports on Power BI Desktop RS

Yes, if you are using August'22 PBI Desktop, best option is wait for September'22 PBI Desktop RS.

Direct Query for SAP BW is also supported in PBI Desktop RS and PBI RS.

Generaly, Direct Query mode has many limitation, on any source, and in PBI Premium same as PBI RS.

Main difference between PBI Premium and PBI RS (from model design perspective) is composite models. Some limitations of PBI RS can be easily reworked (like M:M relations), but some limitations hasn't alternative, especially composite models which combining direct-query and import-mode in single report. 

For save some time, I recommends reworks some single simple report using May'22 PBI Desktop RS. If you don't run into obstacles (unresolvable), then wait for September'22 for all other reports, to check easiest way: open pbix in PBI Destkop RS and save to PBI RS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.