Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jan67

Power BI Server file permissions and access to logs

Running into a strange error. Have a new install of Power BI Server which is installed in a corprate DC with very restrictive access.  The install has the PBIRS directory secured. I asked for read permissions to access the logs to troubleshoot an issue with emails failing. When the permissions were changed the server stopped working, not being able to access the Web Service. Thought it was a coincendence with something I might have done but after a reinstall and configuration to get things working the same thing happened when changing directory permissions. I'm at a loss on what's happening, I need to change the logging to verbose and access the logs. Thoughts on what's happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

From your description my best guess would be that somehow in the change of permissions that the service account for the web service has somehow lost the permissions it needs to be able to write to the log folder. One of the first things the service does when it start is to initialize the logging and write out some startup messages. You might find some errors relating to this in the Windows Event log or you might need to use a tool like the SysInternals Process Monitor to figure out which permissions are missing.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

From your description my best guess would be that somehow in the change of permissions that the service account for the web service has somehow lost the permissions it needs to be able to write to the log folder. One of the first things the service does when it start is to initialize the logging and write out some startup messages. You might find some errors relating to this in the Windows Event log or you might need to use a tool like the SysInternals Process Monitor to figure out which permissions are missing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.