Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

just_a_machine

Power BI Server Scheduled Update Failing with Unspecified Error

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone can help me? I am struggling with A powerBI report which pulls data in from and Access database via import. It works fine in PowerBI Desktop and refreshs correctly. When it is uploaded to PowerBI server it throws the follwing error when attemting to refresh the data:

2018-11-25 01:06:08.5786|ERROR|60|Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 5f88c235-56fa-4ae1-85bf-fa34aa0d67be, Status: Error Failed to refresh the model, Exception Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Unspecified error. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
'.
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChanges(SaveOptions saveOptions)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.AsServer.TOMWrapper.RefreshModel(Database database)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.AsServer.AnalysisServicesServer.RefreshDatabase(String databaseName, IEnumerable`1 dataSources, String clientSessionId)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.AnalysisServicesDataRefresh.RefreshDatabase(AsDatabaseInfo asDatabaseInfo)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<>c__DisplayClass9.<ExecuteActionWithLogging>b__7()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<ExecuteFuncWithLogging>d__3`1.MoveNext()

I have tried connecting the report server to the same data source and it connects fine so I am assuming it is not the OLEDB driver or anything. I have searched on the forum but not found the same unspecified error.

If anyone has any ideas It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
just_a_machine

This turned out to be an authentication error for the user accessing an access dB. I then also found that google chrome does not retain the connection details correctly even when tested correctly. Using IE fixed the Issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
just_a_machine

This turned out to be an authentication error for the user accessing an access dB. I then also found that google chrome does not retain the connection details correctly even when tested correctly. Using IE fixed the Issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue I think. Connected to an Access database, refresh runs smoothly on Desktop, but Refresh on the web server fails due to "Unspecified error. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface." (this happens on both Chrome and IE). I can't for the life of me figure this out...

What is IE? using IE?

IE - Internet Explorer

I am working on a project and I keep getting an unspesified error! the error poits to navigating my data from microsoft access.

it's randomly works by some steps in my query and then I get the erroe.

any sugesstions would be very helpful.

My issue was due to I was using multiple data sets from different sources anjd the browser wasn'y storing the connection details correctly in powerBI server when inputted in the management of the report. 

Are you getting these errors when running the report in PowerBI desktop or just when you are refreshing datat from the server?

My issue is when running power Bi desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.