Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kevinsearle
Frequent Visitor

Power BI September 2019 not compatible with May 2019

I've just started working with Power BI.

When it came to deploying some amendments I made to an existing report to report server, I was unable to.

The message displayed stated the versions were not compatible.

It turned out the version of Power BI Desktop in my dev environment is September 2019 whereas the version of Report Server on the server it is May 2019.

Presumably this could be overcome by upgrading the servers to September 2019 but that's an overhead to the project we hadn't planned on so we are trying to avoid at the moment particularly as it's not something we have done before and so need to do a formal roll out to uncover any issues.

Also I could downgrade version of Power BI Reporting in my dev environmet.

Before I do that has anyone else had a similar issue or found a way to develop in the September 2019 version and still be able to deploy to May 2019?

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@kevinsearle wrote:

Before I do that has anyone else had a similar issue or found a way to develop in the September 2019 version and still be able to deploy to May 2019?

No, you can deploy from an older version of desktop to a newer version of the server, but not the outer way around. The newer version of desktop will have functionality that the old version of server does not know how deal with. And this could be anything from new properties, to entirely new visuals so there is no easy way to do some sort of automatic "downgrade".

KBO
MVP

Hi @kevinsearle ,

its recommended that you use the fitting desktop for the server ;). 

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.