Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

aaditya2000
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Reporting Server Data Source for oracle

Hello:

I am not seeing connection info for Oracle from the drop down & only i see is Oracle Essbase, attached is the screenshot.

I need help how to create Oracle connection\string in Power BI Report Server.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

Jay

GVRORA.png

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I need help for connection between reporting server with oracle .see the below image why build button to hide mode I need to connect with oracle and my oracle database on server .88775.01.png

Thanks. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aaditya2000,

Currently, the only data source supported for Power BI reports are a live connection to Analysis Services (tabular or multidimensional). More data sources will be added in future releases.

Regarding to create a shared Oracle data source in Power BI report server, I will consult this issue internally. Will update here once I get feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your reply. we are doing POC for more than 300 users and its all dependent on Oracle data source.

Thanks

Regards

Jay

Hi @aaditya2000,

I got information below:

You have to install the ODAC library and edit rsReportServer.config file to enable the data source extension to show up in the portal.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Did this work for you?  I have ODT and ODAC library installed on my machine.

I did install but i am not seeing Oracle in my Connection Type?

Thanks

We are likewise and need Oracle connection

Make sure you've installed the 64-bit version of ODAC (since Power BI Report Server is a 64-bit process), including ODP.NET: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html. Then restart the report server service. Then, if you still don't see Oracle Database in the list, you'll probably find error details in the report server trace log (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles).

Hi Riccardo,
As you said, i have installed 64-bit version of ODAC including ODP.NET in my machine, After restarting the powerBI reporting service, i can select the oracle database in power bi report web page and i have created the oracle database connection, eventually it got succeded, but i couldn't create a dataset using this datasource, i'm getting TNS - ora identifier issue, while i'm connectig via report builder3.0.

Whereas the report server is 64-bit, the client tools (Report Builder and Visual Studio) are 32-bit, so on the client side, you need the 32-bit version of ODAC/ODP.NET.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I need help for Power BI Reporting server Data source for oracle .I am getting Below error when I connect Oracle DataBase.See the Below Image.

Capture_reportserver_error1.PNG

Thanks.

Hi Riccardo,

Thanks for you reply!!!

FYI, I'm using windows 10 Pro, I can connect oracle database using oracle client, so there is no issue in TNS names.
As you said, I have removed 64-bit ODAC and ODP.Net from my machine and installed 32-bit ODAC/ODP Versions, this time i couldn't connect even datasource itself.

Please let me know is there any restrictions/specification on Power BI report server while connecting to oracle server?

Hmm, sorry you're still having trouble. At this point, it's difficult to know what might be missing without investigating hands-on. Could you open a case with Microsoft Support so we can do so? It'd be great to get to the bottom of it and improve our documentation if necessary.

Hi Team,

i can connect on premise oracle databse using power BI reporting server. Thanks for you help team.

Now i'm facing new issue, could i connect Microsoft azure oracle using power BI report server

Beacuse , there is no option to select the azure oracle data source connection type in power BI report server?

Data Source connection type.png

You should be able to use the Oracle Database connector to connect to an Oracle database running in Azure.

Thanks Riccardo,

Could you please share the sample connection string to connect Azure oracle server

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.