Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xpherion
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI Report server catalog database size (August 2017 preview)

I am trying to find out how to size Power BI Report Server Catalog database. I know Power BI report with "data" is stored in the catalog database and it is rendered via Power BI application on the server. I also know preview version has 50MB data size limit. How is this different than regular SSRS catalog database?

3 REPLIES 3
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

The catalog schema between SSRS and PBI Report server are nearly identicall, you will likely see the same memory footprint between them. The preview version of PBIRS limits files to 50MB, however this will be increased to 1 or 2 GB to large data models, so you'll need to account for that in the future.

Thank you for replying back. I totally forgot about this article.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/reportserver-capacity-planning/

I would like to see what is going to happen when Power BI report server is going to have 1 GB file per report. I would like to see how Microsoft handles this in Power BI Cloud service. Maybe long term SSAS handling the load is a better option.

SSAS is/will be the recommended option for scaling-up to larger data volumes and enterprise solutions. PBIRS will offer self-serve scenarios, but yes, will be constrained by server size and topology.  Don't have a date, but we will look to update the capacity planning measures with large files. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.