Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Karthik_Ram
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Report Server with Share point Online data source

Hello,

We have a Power BI Report which uses Sharepoint List as datasource. When i connect from Power BI Desktop everything works fine. But when i publish and go to manage in Power BI RS I am not able to create a successful connection. Neither Anonymous or Windows option works. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately this is a product limitation. Power BI RS does not have the ability to authenticate against Sharepoint Online lists. It's listed in this documentation as not being a supported data source for scheduled refresh.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! I'm facing the same issue. I understand that is not supported but I'm looking for a way to work around, for example using some power automate flows to download lists to the intranet and then using it to feed power b.i... 

Any more ideas?

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately this is a product limitation. Power BI RS does not have the ability to authenticate against Sharepoint Online lists. It's listed in this documentation as not being a supported data source for scheduled refresh.

The linked documentation shows that it is supported, unless it wasnt as at the time this post was made.

Even though it is, it still hasnt worked for me any updates.

@Chuka wrote:

The linked documentation shows that it is supported, unless it wasnt as at the time this post was made.

Even though it is, it still hasnt worked for me any updates.

So I just double checked to see if this had changed and the following screenshot of the above documentation link from today 20 July 2021 and it still shows unsupported for Sharepoint Online. 

d_gosbell_1-1626733761735.png

Like I mentioned the issue is the authentication. Report Server does not currently support any sources that require OAuth and this is a requirement for most cloud based data sources. Your only option for Report Server is to use some other tool like a PowerShell script or some other ETL tool to pull the data from Sharepoint Online and put it somewhere local like a SQL database or CSV file which Report Server does support scheduled refresh.

Thanks a lot, I was actually refering to SharePoint On-Prem (my mistake 😁).

Please could you possibly guide me how to setup a working SharePoint On-Prem connection string for PBiRS. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.