Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Report Server vs SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)

Hello, has the Power BI Report Server come to replace the traditional SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)?

As I understand it, with Power BI Report Server, it is possible to store paged reports, send reports automatically by e-mail, and all the options that exist in SSRS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Not a replacement. A new product. Power BI Report Server contains all the same functionality as SSRS, and has the included features to support Power BI Reports. The only way to license it is via a Power BI Premium subscription or SQL EE + SA license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Anonymous Not a replacement. A new product. Power BI Report Server contains all the same functionality as SSRS, and has the included features to support Power BI Reports. The only way to license it is via a Power BI Premium subscription or SQL EE + SA license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

So Microsoft is committed to have *all* features of Reporting Services in Power BI Report Server?

Data sources, Content, Integrations, Development environment/tools, etc.?

@tljthree It is SSRS, with the Power BI integration capabilites. I can't speak to the actual release cadence or whether or not there will be feature gaps, but I would assume the PBIRS is going to have more advanced features sooner than SSRS as the update cycle is faster (quarterly) and the support doesn't have to live longer than a year.

Coupled with the fact that you can already migrate your existing SSRS implemenation (2008 and above) to the PBIRS, it stands to reason that it is meant to enhance normal SSRS.

Existing report creation for RDL files is the same.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.