Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Karenp426
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server on Prem won't load report.

I have a contractor that created a Power BI Dashboard via Power Bi Desktop.  The data is from a SQL Server Database and the connection mode is Import.  When I try to load the dashboard up to the report server, I get an error that reads Can't load report, Can't save this Power BI Desktop report because it is newer version or has component parts that are not supported. I have other reports that were created the same way and I have loaded with no issues.  Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Karenp426,

As others have said you must use the same version of the PBI Desktop Application for Report Server as the version of the RS server, so we are using the Oct 2017 PBI Desktop for Report Server and the Oct 2017 RS.

You cannot mix and match Desktop versions for deployment to RS.

If you want a newer version of the Desktop and RS software that will include all the new features in the Cloud based version then maybe you can prompt Microsoft to release one! I've been chasing them for a new version of RS for weeks now, and no answers are forth coming. But the more peaple that ask the more likely they are to respond.

Good luck

Rob

irvmic
Frequent Visitor

Most likely the report has been created in a pbi desktop that is newer than the ocotober release for report server and using features that aren't available in the report server yet.

Make sure your contractor creates his/her reports in the correct pbi desktop.

We have created several reports in Power BI Desktop and have still loaded them up to the server.  I am not sure my contractor has dektop for the report server.  Many of the things we need to do aren't available on Desktop report server version.  Microsoft release for it on Prem isn't as ofter or as uptodate as other desktops. 

Well you can't use features in the new desktop client and upload them to an onpremise server as that only know features that are available in the october 2017 client.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.