Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

speranzaa
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server doesn't refresh data from IBM DB2

Hi, I created a very simple tabular report with Power Bi Desktop (Version: 2.97.863.0 64-bit (September) 2021) which successfully retrieves data from an IBM Db2 database.

Data on DB2 changes quite often so, the refreshing mechanism is crucial for me to show always the last data.

While the refreshing process works perfectly on Power Bi Desktop, when I upload the same report to my Power BI Report Server (Version1.12.7936.39665, September 2021),

the refresh process doesn't work, or better, clicking on the Refresh link nothing happens.

I successfully tested the report connection to DB2 (on BI Report Server) writing my credentials clicking on Manage > Data Sources > Credentials, using the Basic Authentication, but the report seems frozen; t shows always the data that appeared with the initial upload.

I also tried to use the scheduled refresh, with no result...

On my client I have installed the IMB DB2 ODBC driver. Am I missing something to set at Power BI Report Server level?

Is there any bug in this Report Server version, which has been solved with the following releases?

Any help is warmly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alessandro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@speranzaa wrote:

the refresh process doesn't work, or better, clicking on the Refresh link nothing happens.

The refresh link on the report is really only useful for reports in Direct Query mode, it only tells the visuals to requery the model. It does not do a data refresh for a model in import mode.

@speranzaa wrote:

On my client I have installed the IMB DB2 ODBC driver. Am I missing something to set at Power BI Report Server level?

What do you mean by "no result". Was there an error in the refresh or did it say it completed successfully? Have you installed the DB2 client driver on the Report Server as this is not a part of the default install and would be required to do a scheduled refresh against DB2.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@speranzaa wrote:

The refresh link on the report is really only useful for reports in Direct Query mode, it only tells the visuals to requery the model. It does not do a data refresh for a model in import mode.

@speranzaa wrote:

What do you mean by "no result". Was there an error in the refresh or did it say it completed successfully? Have you installed the DB2 client driver on the Report Server as this is not a part of the default install and would be required to do a scheduled refresh against DB2.

Hi, 

thanks a lot for your reply.

Most probably, the problem, as you mentioned in your second reply, is that we didn't still install the DB2 client driver on the Report Server. I am still waiting the installation, to see if the refresh will work properly from report server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.