Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bme65
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server - design question - write to file system, or schedule report result.

I am new to Power BI and have been asked to choose a BI tool that meets our project requirements.

There is one part of the requirement that it is not clear how to do in Power BI Report Server. 

What is best solution to allow the user to confirm their report request, and then just create report at either a later time, or send to file system. 

It's the 3rd step below I need recommended method/approach:
1. I created a dashboard that drills down to a report that contains all the parameters that the user selected in dashboard. This is a 'request report'.
2. user confirms that this is the data they are interested in
3. The report is to be created but not displayed back to the user. The report should be created on a file system, preferably a csv,. 
The most important part is for the user to request on the dashboard the 'referral report' based on their filtered criteria, and for the report to be generated and sent to a file location daily. The user cannot see their report on-screen, merely a request. This is a security measure. We will drop them the report file at a secure location, daily.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bme65 ,

About how to create paginated report ,you could refer Microsoft official article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/quickstart-create-paginated-report

But according filter ,to send different  path link ,In my opinion, it can't be done, my idea is to create multiple reports, subscribe to different share paths and configure different user access rights to the shared folders.

the following is  create subscriptions  to a shared path,In my previous configuration, the subscription file was created on 2021/1/11 in the shared folder at:

vluwangmsft_0-1642469650566.png

vluwangmsft_1-1642469763734.png

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bme65 ,

Unfortunately, I didn't find out that there are other options to do that besides subscription.

Best Regards

Lucien

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bme65 ,

About how to create paginated report ,you could refer Microsoft official article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/quickstart-create-paginated-report

But according filter ,to send different  path link ,In my opinion, it can't be done, my idea is to create multiple reports, subscribe to different share paths and configure different user access rights to the shared folders.

the following is  create subscriptions  to a shared path,In my previous configuration, the subscription file was created on 2021/1/11 in the shared folder at:

vluwangmsft_0-1642469650566.png

vluwangmsft_1-1642469763734.png

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi @v-luwang-msft , 

Ugh, I found out we that Report Builder is not authorized for me to use at our company, so no paginated reports. So suprised subscriptions/writing to file system, mailing isn't available for pbix reports.

Is there another method, aside from pagineated reports to either write the report to a file, or trigger the report creation for a later time. This may have to be a stored  proc, or an api call. If so, I will open up a dev question, if not available im the tool. Please advise. Thanks!

bme65
Frequent Visitor

Hi Lucien! Thanks for your help.

I like the example #2 write to file system.

I'm still not clear on how I get the user to request the report, while on the dashboard, and to ensure the user cannot see the report output.

I did read an atrticle of 'pagineated report visuals' and maybe this could work. I could add a pagineated report visual on the dashboard, and then could this report be created on the file system and not shown to user? 

https://sharepointlonghorn.com/the-new-paginated-report-visual-is-here/

That's the key, to have them choose their filters/parameters and then request report based on that. 

They are not allow to see the report on-screen.

If you have thoughts on the above, I would appreciate it. 

You've been very helpful.

Sincerely,

Beth

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bme65 ,

You can learn about the subscriptions feature in the Report Server. Subscription is only applicable to paginated reports, and there are two forms of subscription, 1, sending report information to specified mailboxes according to the set conditions, and 2, storing reports in specified shared directories according to the set conditions.

refer:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/subscriptions/subscriptions-and-delivery-rep... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.