Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Report Server dataset API presents data as JSON - Power Pivot expects XML - how do I fix?

We're working with an on-premises Power BI Report Server and I have a cached dataset.  I want to make this available to Power Pivot users but it is expecting an XML structure.  When I enter the URL for the data feed (http://<reportserver>/Reports/api/v2.0/datasets(<ID>)/data), I get this error: Cannot connect to the specified feed.  Verify the connection and try again.  Reason: Data at the root level is invalid.  Line 1, position 1.

When I put the URL into a browser, I get the data in a JSON format.  When I use Power Query, I can see the data.  When I use Power BI Desktop, I can see the data.  Can someone help explain what I need to do in order to get this data to be made available for Power Pivot?  I'm using Excel 2016 in case that's important.

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.