Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pdeville
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Report Server capacity planing

I have been reading https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/reportserver-capacity-planning/

I was wondering why the "Report Server Database" server was sized so large ? It's larger than the PIB RS server in the small configuration.

Would it be possible to see the load test resutls for the "Report Server Database" server and the SSAS server in addition to the PBI RS Server?

I was considering putting the RS database on the same server as SSAS but I am wondering if it is realy a good idea.

4 REPLIES 4
hugoberry
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Are you aware that the latest release of Power BI Report Servere comes with an embedded SSAS instance, simillar to the Power BI desktop architecture? Maybe that's why needs a greater capacity. It can become a bottleneck if the refresh of non direct-query reports are taking all of the memory resources with this embedded instance of SSAS.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pdeville,

From PG's response, they haven’t started the work for capacity planning yet. This is on their board. Currently,  it might not possible to see the load test resutls for the "Report Server Database" server and the SSAS server.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your answers.

The performance of Power BI and the end user exprience certainely depends on the performances of SSAS and the reports server database.

So having the test results for others servers in the farm would be very instresting.

Best regards.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pdeville,

Per my knowledge, the Report Server Database server needs to store many metadata and object definitions, so it needs enough space. But I am not sure about this.

For whether it is possible to see the load test resutls for the "Report Server Database" server and the SSAS server, I have emailed to PG to consult with them. Once I get any response, I will update here.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.