Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Power BI Report Server: You are not allowed to view this folder for System Administrator

Hi,

We are trying to install a fresh version of Power BI Report Server at a client. The local account used to access the Report server is System Administrator on the box as well as on the Report server System level security (under site setting).

We cannot even see the New, Upload, Manage Folder buttons ... On other posts I have seen that the Sys Admin also needs to be a Content Manager. But I am not sure how to do that when I dont see "Manage Folder" button. 

Any suggestion how to figure out which user would have access to get this working (The server was installed in tandem with client DBA who had access to create Report server databases - i would not want to bother him unless absolutely required).

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@cyclist007,

Firstly, make sure that you are a member of the local Administrator's Group.

Secondly,
 add the Report Manager URL of Power BI report server to Local Intranet Zone in Internet Explorer following the guide in this similar blog.

Thirdly, open IE using "Run as administrator", then grant Item level permission to your account.
Capture.PNG1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft

Since this was a client site, I had to use one local admins account (who had helped intially setup) to provide access through 'Manage Folder'

You probably need to run the browser as the local admin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.