Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Report Server: You are not allowed to view this folder.

Hello I have installed Power BI Report Server and set it up on my local sql server db.

I am succesfullly able to launch my web portal page but I get this error below:

ppic.PNG

How can i resolve this?? It seems I am logged in with the same account that has the admins rights to the local db itself. Any help on this matter would be great.

Thanks,

bdiouf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Please launch browser with administrator role. And check whether current account has been granted with access permission on both System level security (under site setting) and Item level security (under Manager Folder).

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
imvickeyrajpoot

It is hard to explain all the details in this portal notes. Please follow this article to get all details regarding this issue and resolution. 

Could Not Load Folder Contents In Portal URLs - SSRSPBIRS (kingfishertechtips.in)

alexbcook
Frequent Visitor

I installed Report Server locally just to test features and ran into the same issue. The way I solved it (with some help) was to create a local Windows admin account on my machine (Settings->Other Users->Add Someone else to this PC, create the account, and then Change Account Type-> Administrator). Then, in a brand new browser window (had to use a different browser even), I logged into the Report Server URL and finally saw "Manage folder". Yes, finally! I clicked Manage folder, then added my normal Windows user (which is an admin on my machine) as a Content Manager and clicked Apply. Then I reloaded the Report Server web URL and voila! I can now see everything. I hope this helps you as much as it helped me.

Markzolotoy
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I used IE11 running as admin. Tis time I had Settings available. After adding myself it worked fine.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Please launch browser with administrator role. And check whether current account has been granted with access permission on both System level security (under site setting) and Item level security (under Manager Folder).

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft ,

Thanks for guidence .But this didn't work for me . If there is any other way to solve this please guide us .

Regards,

Wajahat Kayani 

Hi

I know this is quite an old post but it worked for me, however, I had to use IE and not Edge as suggested by some other posts.

The steps are quite straight forward but what would make it easier for less experienced users would be steps with screenshots.

Thanks

John

@v-yulgu-msft

Hi, Please can you elaborate where we need to go to access "Item level security (under Manager Folder)".

Since it is a new report server in client environment there is no folder/file/content to manage. Even though I am a system administrator in System level security (under site setting), I cannot create/upload any new files/folders and I get the error "Could not load folder contents"

It would be helpful if you can share a screenshot. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Have the same error, tried a lot but don't work.

Issue has been resolved ? 

Thanks

2019-03 runas admin.png

1. Right click on your browser icon

2 Right click again on the brower in the menu that pops up

3 Choose the "Run as administrator" option

Then navigate to your PBIRS instance, you should now have access to the home folder. Click on manage and give your normal account access. You should now be able to close the admin version of the browser and re-connect without needing to run as admin.

@d_gosbell 

Nope, not worki. There is no manage. Setting only, disabled though.

Have you tried remoting on to the server hosting PBIRS and doing the steps from there?

It's not working for me either.  I am an administrator on a new server.  I open a new IE browser as Run as Administrator.  I open the server in the browser and get the error "Could not load folder contents ... Contact your administrator ...   Which is me.

Hi Steveo250k,  try opening  your Web Service URL and your Web Portal URL in IE.  Go to the Web Service URL tab and click on Internet Tools (Alt+x) and go to Internet Options.  Click on the Security tab, select Trusted Sites, and click on the Sites command button.  In the "Add this website to the zone:" text box, enter your URL and click the Add button (Note, if you are not using HTTPS, you may have to uncheck the checkbox that requires HTTPS below the text box).  Click Close.  Click Apply.

Go the Web Portal URL and repeat the above process.  Close both tabs.  Restart Power BI Report Service and then re-open each URL.

@sqlsteve now that IE is retired what would you recommend? I'm facing the same issue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This solution works for me. Thank you sqlsteve !

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

You get that error when the account you are logged in has not been granted rights to the Report Server. If the server is installed on the same machine as your browser you can try to run it as administrator. If that doesn't work you'll need to get the user that setup the server to grant you at least the Browser role to the root folder on ther server.

hello all, Even though i do not assign any role to particular user of same domain in security they can login and view my reports in report server .How can I deal with such situation in security role.please help me with this.

@mgmeyer 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you check if the access is also provided to entire Domain.

PBIRS, when you create new folder by default it will inherit security settings from parent folder.

DomainAccess.PNG

Thank you for your reply

where can i find weather the access is given to entire domain user

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mgmeyer, If I am understanding you correctly, as I am the admin of the local server who is not able to get access to view folders in my report server, I should somehow get browser role access? How can i do this?

Thanks,

bdiouf

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.