Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

Power BI Report Server: You are not allowed to view this folder.

[ Edited ]

Hello I have installed Power BI Report Server and set it up on my local sql server db.

I am succesfullly able to launch my web portal page but I get this error below:

ppic.PNG

How can i resolve this?? It seems I am logged in with the same account that has the admins rights to the local db itself. Any help on this matter would be great.

Thanks,

bdiouf

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team

Re: Power BI Report Server: You are not allowed to view this folder.

Hi @bdiouf,

Please launch browser with administrator role. And check whether current account has been granted with access permission on both System level security (under site setting) and Item level security (under Manager Folder).

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

All Replies

You get that error when the account you are logged in has not been granted rights to the Report Server. If the server is installed on the same machine as your browser you can try to run it as administrator. If that doesn't work you'll need to get the user that setup the server to grant you at least the Browser role to the root folder on ther server.

Regular Visitor

@mgmeyer, If I am understanding you correctly, as I am the admin of the local server who is not able to get access to view folders in my report server, I should somehow get browser role access? How can i do this?

Thanks,

bdiouf

Community Support Team

Hi @bdiouf,

Please launch browser with administrator role. And check whether current account has been granted with access permission on both System level security (under site setting) and Item level security (under Manager Folder).

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Regular Visitor

It's not working for me either.  I am an administrator on a new server.  I open a new IE browser as Run as Administrator.  I open the server in the browser and get the error "Could not load folder contents ... Contact your administrator ...   Which is me.

Occasional Visitor

Hi Steveo250k,  try opening  your Web Service URL and your Web Portal URL in IE.  Go to the Web Service URL tab and click on Internet Tools (Alt+x) and go to Internet Options.  Click on the Security tab, select Trusted Sites, and click on the Sites command button.  In the "Add this website to the zone:" text box, enter your URL and click the Add button (Note, if you are not using HTTPS, you may have to uncheck the checkbox that requires HTTPS below the text box).  Click Close.  Click Apply.

Go the Web Portal URL and repeat the above process.  Close both tabs.  Restart Power BI Report Service and then re-open each URL.

@v-yulgu-msft

Hi, Please can you elaborate where we need to go to access "Item level security (under Manager Folder)".

Since it is a new report server in client environment there is no folder/file/content to manage. Even though I am a system administrator in System level security (under site setting), I cannot create/upload any new files/folders and I get the error "Could not load folder contents"

It would be helpful if you can share a screenshot. Thanks

Frequent Visitor

This solution works for me. Thank you sqlsteve !

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Have the same error, tried a lot but don't work.

Issue has been resolved ? 

Thanks