Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Report Server Telemetry

Dear all,

I'd like to share information about disabling Power BI Report Server Telemetrie with you.

You may have already expected that sometimes you receive a message when opeing Reports WebSite where opening a site at "az416426.vo.msecnd.net". So I've spend some time to get a deaper look in this topic.

Using IE Developers Tool and seeing scriptUsing IE Developers Tool and seeing script

After I check Telemetrie Settings within API via PowerShell:

PS_On_API.PNG

For deaktivation you need to navigate into Windows Regitry and edit two entries.

PBI_Off_Reg.PNG

After changing CustomerFeedback and ErrorReport from "1" to "0" for disable  I ran PowerShell again.

PS_Off_API.PNG

After changing Regitry setting API request looks different.

After that I did several runs of Internet Explorer with Developer Tools ans request about "az416426.vo.msecnd.net" didn't occur so far.

Another thing I've expected was, that this only occurs when your systme has an active connection to Internet. When I disconnet my test system from Internet, request wasn't performed.

Another thing I've expected was, that when you perform an upgrade you need to re-check registry entries. After upgrading Report Server from 2018-08 to 2019-05 entries were readded to registry. Therefore you should add checking registry to your upgrade tasklist to keep it disabled.

Hope you find this helpfull.

Best regards

Daniel

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear all,

I've opened a idea that Report Server just respect registry settings during upgrade. Feel free to vote for idea at https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/40805785-report-se

Cheers

Daniel

kiwipeet
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi.

Thank you for sharing this.  I'm having issues related to Telemetry and want to disable the feature.

I'm a novice with PowerShell, So I struggling to get your Powershell command working. (I want to follow through what you're done and keen to learn).

I have:

((Invoke-RestMethod -Uri "http://servername/Reports/api/v2.0/telemetry" -method get -userdefaultcredentials)).properties

What am I missing before "((Invoke-RestMethod -Uri.." ?

I ssume I should use the full server url including "http://" Is that correct?

Are there any dependencies? Do I need to load any Power modules first?

Thanks

Pete

Just apply below registery patch, I tried it and it worked perfectly.

1. Make a new text file and copy this text to it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\PBIRS\CPE]
"CustomerFeedback"=dword:00000000
"EnableErrorReporting"=dword:00000000

2. Rename it to patch.reg

3. Run it by double click on it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @kiwipeet ,

no, I user native PowerShell commands without any modules running below PowerShell Version:

PowerShell VersionPowerShell Version

You need permissions to access RS API, if your account you are using doen't have permissions to access RS API you can modify command by removing "-UseDefaultCredentials" and replace with "-Credential domain\useraccount". Then PowerShell will not use current user but user you have entered.

Query RS APIQuery RS API

Using this query you'll query possibilities to access RS API. You want to query "Telemetry" values.

Query TelemetryQuery Telemetry

Then query "Telemetry" to get results. As you can see values are listed at "Properties" value.

3JPG.JPG

When querieing "properties you should see RS Telemetry values.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Daniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.