cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattKarriker2
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Report Server Subscriptions with Distribution Lists

I am looking for the best way to manage distribution lists for Power BI Report Server Subscriptions.  I want the users to have the ability to manage their own distribution lists for their subscriptions.  Being that this is Report Server do I need to create AD Groups,  distribution lists or can I use Office 365 groups\lists.  Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciiated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Report Server sends emails via SMTP so as long as the group has a valid email address is should not matter how it is created, it should work. Some organizations may have filters on which accounts/servers can send email externally and this may cause issues since your server will be internal attempting to send email to a cloud based email group. But that is a separate permissions/security issue that you would need to take up with your IT department if it happens.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Report Server sends emails via SMTP so as long as the group has a valid email address is should not matter how it is created, it should work. Some organizations may have filters on which accounts/servers can send email externally and this may cause issues since your server will be internal attempting to send email to a cloud based email group. But that is a separate permissions/security issue that you would need to take up with your IT department if it happens.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Power BI Release May 2022 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the May 2022 updates!