Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Report Server Single Sign On

Dear All, 

I hope you are well and safe.

I've an on-premises Power BI Report Server installation. The server works under a domain account as a service account.

I need the users, under the same domain, to login automatically without being prompted to enter their windows account credentilas.

I checked the "rsreportserver" configuration file, the only authenticaton type I have is "RSWindowsNTLM />"

Any help would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Normally if you are using NTLM auth you won't get prompted if the server is detected as being in your local network. So this possibly means that the browser thinks it might be an external site. So you might need to ask your IT department to help with getting your server identified as being an intranet based site (they can set this with group policy for the entire domain)

One quick test to see if this is the issue is to go into your Internet Options on your machine and do the following

2020-05 internet options.png

1. Click on the Security tab

2, Click on Local Intranet

3. Click on Sites

4. Click on Advanced

5. Add the address for your report server in here

By default browsers will pass NTLM credentials to sites in the local intranet and trusted sites, but for sites they think are internet based they will not do this automatically and will prompt the user.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Normally if you are using NTLM auth you won't get prompted if the server is detected as being in your local network. So this possibly means that the browser thinks it might be an external site. So you might need to ask your IT department to help with getting your server identified as being an intranet based site (they can set this with group policy for the entire domain)

One quick test to see if this is the issue is to go into your Internet Options on your machine and do the following

2020-05 internet options.png

1. Click on the Security tab

2, Click on Local Intranet

3. Click on Sites

4. Click on Advanced

5. Add the address for your report server in here

By default browsers will pass NTLM credentials to sites in the local intranet and trusted sites, but for sites they think are internet based they will not do this automatically and will prompt the user.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @d_gosbell thank you a lot for your help. Can you please tell how to add my server to the intranet zone on the level of all domain users?

Thanks in advance. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Dear @d_gosbell thank you a lot for your help. Can you please tell how to add my server to the intranet zone on the level of all domain users?

This is something that a domain admin would have to do. I've never done it myself, but I know it can be done through group policy settings. Googling for "group policy add site to intranet zone" turns up articles like this one https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/group-policy-internet-explorer-security-zones.html

@d_gosbell has the answer spot on, having done this a few months back myself (again had to ask the managed service provider (domain admin) to add it via group policy). However, for example if our users decide firefox is the way forward for them, you will need to ask your admin to also update firefox for everyone by setting the option "network.automatic-ntlm-auth.allow-non-fqdn" to true. this enables NTLM for local sites. I am sure chrome will have something similar.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors