Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Report Server - Sharepoint Datasource scheduled refresh

Hi,

We have a power BI dashboard that connects to a sharepoint document. I have used the Sharepoint Folder datasource to connect to this document. It works well on the power BI report server desktop but when I publish, I am not able to set up scheduled refreshes on the data source. It shows three types of auth - Anonymous, Basic and Windows.

I have also tried connecting to the document using a web connector. It works on desktop and not on the server.

Has anyone got this to work? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

What sort of Sharepoint instance is this? Is it Sharepoint Online or an on-premise Sharepoint? If it is on-premise you can use Windows auth and enter the account details of a windows user which has access to the document. Unfortunately if it's Sharepoint Online you'll find that it's not one of the sources that currently supports scheduled refresh (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - Thanks for your reply. This is an on-premise Sharepoint and we tried Windows Auth and that did not seem to work.

What is the error you are getting? Is it just one about incorrect username/password?

Have you tried entering the username in the form of <domain>\<username> ?

We are also getting authentication errors when PBIRS is trying to refresh data from a SharePoint 2010 (on prem) URL.  Strangely, when credentials are saved in PBIRS and clicked "Test connection", we get a successful result, however, scheduled refreshing fails.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Error returned: 'The credentials provided cannot be used for the Web source. (Source at <url removed>.). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

Detailed error log from "RSPowerBI_date_time.log" is below

2020-06-15 12:57:19.4940|INFO|51|Handling event with data: TimeEntered: 15/06/2020 2:57:09 AM, Type: Event, SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, EventType: DataModelRefresh
2020-06-15 12:57:19.4940|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Data Refresh.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.4940|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Retrieving PBIX AsDatabaseInfo.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.5721|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Verifying all the data sources are embedded.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.5721|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Verifying connection strings are valid.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.5721|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Streaming model to Analysis Server.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.6815|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Refreshing the model.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.8533|ERROR|51|Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Error Failed to refresh the model, Exception Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The credentials provided cannot be used for the Web source. (Source at <url removed>.). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
'.
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChangesImpl(SaveOptions options)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.AsServer.TOMWrapper.RefreshModel(Database database)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.AsServer.AnalysisServicesServer.RefreshDatabase(String databaseName, IEnumerable`1 dataSources, String clientSessionId)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.AnalysisServicesDataRefresh.RefreshDatabase(AsDatabaseInfo asDatabaseInfo)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<>c__DisplayClass34_0.<ExecuteActionWithLogging>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<ExecuteFuncWithLogging>d__33`1.MoveNext()
2020-06-15 12:57:19.8533|ERROR|51|Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Error Failed Data Refresh, Exception Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The credentials provided cannot be used for the Web source. (Source at <url removed>). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
'.
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.ExecuteActionWithLogging(Action methodToExecute, String description, String localizedDescription, String messageInFailure, RefreshInfo refreshInfo, DataAccessors dataAccessors, ReportEventType operation, Boolean isDataRetrieval, Boolean showInExecutionLog, Boolean sendToTelemetry)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.AnalysisServicesDataRefresh.RefreshData(RefreshInfo refreshInfo)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<>c__DisplayClass34_0.<ExecuteActionWithLogging>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<ExecuteFuncWithLogging>d__33`1.MoveNext()

Hello, @d_gosbell 

I face with the same issue that authentication is failed for connecting power bi report server to sharepoint on-premise.

Though I put correct account and password, it shows always it is failed.

Thing wierd is when I put the path to url in a web browser or windows explorer? it works but not in the data source of the power bi report server.

If you have any experience with this, please help me. 😉 thanx

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have anyone had any advance on this? I'm having the same problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the delay. It is showing up as incorrect username/password

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue when trying to scheadule updates to a report. Did you find a solution to this @Anonymous ?

I have tried specifing domain and leaving it out and always getting the message: Log on failed. Ensure the user name and password are correct.

I can, with success, open a browser as this user and read the list that is the data source used in my report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous - We tried Power BI service and that seemed to work using a web connector. So we just moved our report to the cloud and I did not  try to make it work on Power BI report server. Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous. I assume you are using SharePoin Online as datasource? We are using an on-prem SharePoint so your solution will probably not work for us. 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.