cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Report Server - Sharepoint Datasource scheduled refresh

Hi,

We have a power BI dashboard that connects to a sharepoint document. I have used the Sharepoint Folder datasource to connect to this document. It works well on the power BI report server desktop but when I publish, I am not able to set up scheduled refreshes on the data source. It shows three types of auth - Anonymous, Basic and Windows.

I have also tried connecting to the document using a web connector. It works on desktop and not on the server.

Has anyone got this to work? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
d_gosbell
Super User II
Super User II

What sort of Sharepoint instance is this? Is it Sharepoint Online or an on-premise Sharepoint? If it is on-premise you can use Windows auth and enter the account details of a windows user which has access to the document. Unfortunately if it's Sharepoint Online you'll find that it's not one of the sources that currently supports scheduled refresh (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - Thanks for your reply. This is an on-premise Sharepoint and we tried Windows Auth and that did not seem to work.

What is the error you are getting? Is it just one about incorrect username/password?

Have you tried entering the username in the form of <domain>\<username> ?

We are also getting authentication errors when PBIRS is trying to refresh data from a SharePoint 2010 (on prem) URL.  Strangely, when credentials are saved in PBIRS and clicked "Test connection", we get a successful result, however, scheduled refreshing fails.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Error returned: 'The credentials provided cannot be used for the Web source. (Source at <url removed>.). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

Detailed error log from "RSPowerBI_date_time.log" is below

2020-06-15 12:57:19.4940|INFO|51|Handling event with data: TimeEntered: 15/06/2020 2:57:09 AM, Type: Event, SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, EventType: DataModelRefresh
2020-06-15 12:57:19.4940|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Data Refresh.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.4940|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Retrieving PBIX AsDatabaseInfo.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.5721|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Verifying all the data sources are embedded.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.5721|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Verifying connection strings are valid.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.5721|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Streaming model to Analysis Server.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.6815|INFO|51|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Starting Refreshing the model.
2020-06-15 12:57:19.8533|ERROR|51|Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Error Failed to refresh the model, Exception Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The credentials provided cannot be used for the Web source. (Source at <url removed>.). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
'.
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChangesImpl(SaveOptions options)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.AsServer.TOMWrapper.RefreshModel(Database database)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.AsServer.AnalysisServicesServer.RefreshDatabase(String databaseName, IEnumerable`1 dataSources, String clientSessionId)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.AnalysisServicesDataRefresh.RefreshDatabase(AsDatabaseInfo asDatabaseInfo)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<>c__DisplayClass34_0.<ExecuteActionWithLogging>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<ExecuteFuncWithLogging>d__33`1.MoveNext()
2020-06-15 12:57:19.8533|ERROR|51|Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 35774aee-7cb0-4446-b60a-260907fc572a, Status: Error Failed Data Refresh, Exception Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The credentials provided cannot be used for the Web source. (Source at <url removed>). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
'.
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.ExecuteActionWithLogging(Action methodToExecute, String description, String localizedDescription, String messageInFailure, RefreshInfo refreshInfo, DataAccessors dataAccessors, ReportEventType operation, Boolean isDataRetrieval, Boolean showInExecutionLog, Boolean sendToTelemetry)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.AnalysisServicesDataRefresh.RefreshData(RefreshInfo refreshInfo)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<>c__DisplayClass34_0.<ExecuteActionWithLogging>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<ExecuteFuncWithLogging>d__33`1.MoveNext()

Hello, @d_gosbell 

I face with the same issue that authentication is failed for connecting power bi report server to sharepoint on-premise.

Though I put correct account and password, it shows always it is failed.

Thing wierd is when I put the path to url in a web browser or windows explorer? it works but not in the data source of the power bi report server.

If you have any experience with this, please help me. 😉 thanx

Have anyone had any advance on this? I'm having the same problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the delay. It is showing up as incorrect username/password

I have the same issue when trying to scheadule updates to a report. Did you find a solution to this @Anonymous ?

I have tried specifing domain and leaving it out and always getting the message: Log on failed. Ensure the user name and password are correct.

I can, with success, open a browser as this user and read the list that is the data source used in my report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@martinlarsson - We tried Power BI service and that seemed to work using a web connector. So we just moved our report to the cloud and I did not  try to make it work on Power BI report server. Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Thanks @Anonymous. I assume you are using SharePoin Online as datasource? We are using an on-prem SharePoint so your solution will probably not work for us. 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!