Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dsmudge35
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server(Sep 18) install problem for remote Report Server db's

Hi, the setup is- 

- SERVER A with PowerBI Report server installed (No Database engine)

- SERVER B with SQL2016 SP2 Database engine. 

When running through the Report Server config mgr on SERVER A and entering details of SERVER B, at the end of the wizard it comes up with following error. 

Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.WMIProviderException: An error occurred when attempting to connect to the report server remote procedure call (RPC) end point. Verify that the Report Server Windows service is running, and then retry the operation.

---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The RPC server is not listening. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706B3)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.RSWmiAdmin.ThrowOnError(ManagementBaseObject mo)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.RSWmiAdmin.GenerateDatabaseScript(String databaseName, Int32 lcid, Boolean isSharePointIntegrated, String& script)
at ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.GenerateDatabaseScript(String databaseName, Int32 lcid, Boolean isSharePointIntegrated, String& script)

This is baffling me, I found some other posts of similiar nature and dont look to have been resolved.   The PowerBI Report server service is running under a Domain Account which has been given system admin permissions on SERVER B and is the local admin grp on SERVER B.  

On Server A I have executed rpcping command to SERVER B and get a response which implies RPC is contactable.  I have also temporary turned off the Windows Firewall on both SERVERS as well. 

I'm struggling to establish what else to check. 

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
bradsy
Employee
Employee

Looking in the code, I do not see a specific reason this would happen. I have run into similar things before, here is what I would try.

1. The config tool is version specific. Make sure you are using the PBI Sept config tool.

2. Make sure the PowerBIReportServer service is running.

3. Make sure WMI service is running on both machines.

4. Turn off firewall (you did this, so that is not the issue).

5. Make sure the ReportingServicesService.exe is running (this is the windows service mentioned in the call stack).

6. SQL default used to block certain types of connections. If so, run the SQL Configuration tool and allow connections.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.