Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hai_pbi
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server - Role and permission

Hi,

I am aware of the available MS doc : Role definitions - predefined roles - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) | Microsoft Docs

that I read carefully but I find it a bit confusing, mainly because the roles and their associated tasks are shared between SSRS and Power BI RS... a bunch of tasks are related to features that aren't even available in Power BI RS !
I am also aware I can customize any role, but I'd prefer to use predefined ones if they are sufficient.

Could you please help me to understand better :

1) Let's say a given user has both a Browser and Publisher role on a Folder. Can he manage (delete for instance) EVERY reports and subfolders present in the folder, or only the ones he owns ( = he's the creator of) ? If the answer is yes, what is the difference with a Content Manager ? Only the possibility to manage role and permission for that folder ?
2) Same scenario, but the user has only the Publisher role. On this folder, does it mean the user won't be able to see any reports that he doesn't own ? What happened if he delete a subfolder that contains reports he doesn't own and thus doesn't see ?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hai_pbi ,

Reporting Services provides different types of roles those can be used to grant access to different report operations. Each role is set of related tasks. You can assign groups or individual users to roles to provide access to report server operations.

If user or group need to manage contents in Report Server you can add them to Content Manager Role. They will be able to manager folders, reports and other resources.

If user or group would like to view folders, reports and subscribe to reports, you can add them to Browser role.

If we want our user/group to have publish permissions, we can add user/group to this role and they will be able to publish report and linked report to report server.

In Reporting Services, role assignments determine access to stored items and to the report server itself. A system role assignment doesn't authorize access to items in the folder hierarchy. System and item security are mutually exclusive. Sometimes, you might need to create both a system-level and item-level role assignment to provide sufficient access for a user or group.

You can refer to this article to see if it can explain your doubts   Role Assignments 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft 

Thank you for your answer ! Regarding to what you shared, publisher and Content Manager roles sonds like very clear to me, but when you obesrve the task related to the roles it still confuses me :
Publisher roles (as Content Manager) has  Manage Folders and Manage Reports tasks associated to it.
-> It brings me back to me iniatial question :
Can a publisher Manage only the reports he owns ? If a user is given a publisher role on a folder, can he delete / manage ALL reports of that folder, as a Content manager would ? 

Thank you so much for your time
Kind regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.