Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MMartin Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server - Power BI Pro Licensing

Good morning everyone,

I have a couple of doubts,

The first is: is a Power BI Pro license necessary to publish a report on PBI Report Server? The Power BI (cloud) service has not been configured within the report server configuration, since we do not want our data to go to the cloud. Therefore, when I say publish, I say save the pbix inside the local server exclusively.

The second is: To obtain Report Server, you need a Power BI Premium license (it can also be done through SQL Server EE + SA), for this it is necessary to have a tenant. What would be the minimum license to obtain the tenant of the organization and to buy Power BI Premium?

Best Regards,

Martín

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bradsy Member

Re: Power BI Report Server - Power BI Pro Licensing

Hi Martin,

I am not a license expert, but here is what I understand.

Power BI Report Server and Power BI Premium are two different products. A Pro license is not required for either one of them as both are somewhat standalone purchases. 

Power BI Pro is for accessing the shared content in the Power BI Cloud.

Power BI Report Server you are buying an on premise server which you own entirely.

Power BI Premium you are buying capacity in the cloud. As part of the Premium workloads, you can turn on Paginated Reports. Since you own the capacity, you can allow anyone you like to access the content.

In the link below, you can find a whitepaper with somemore detail.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi-premium/

3 REPLIES 3
bradsy Member

Hi Martin,

I am not a license expert, but here is what I understand.

Power BI Report Server and Power BI Premium are two different products. A Pro license is not required for either one of them as both are somewhat standalone purchases. 

Power BI Pro is for accessing the shared content in the Power BI Cloud.

Power BI Report Server you are buying an on premise server which you own entirely.

Power BI Premium you are buying capacity in the cloud. As part of the Premium workloads, you can turn on Paginated Reports. Since you own the capacity, you can allow anyone you like to access the content.

In the link below, you can find a whitepaper with somemore detail.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi-premium/

MMartin Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for spend your time in this dude,

I still have a doubt, I understand what you tell me. I put you real stage:

You have a power BI Premium license, but you don't want your data to go to the cloud (you don't want to use the Power BI Premium functionality, nothing that has to do with the cloud). Then, you install Power BI Report Server. In the event that you were going to use the On-premise functionality alone and exclusively, you would not need a Power BI Pro license. Is this correct?

Best Regards,

Martin

bradsy Member

Correct. On premise functionality does not require a Pro License.

One option you have with the Cloud offering and keeping your data on premise is to use the Power BI Gateway.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 2,830 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: