Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Power BI Report Server October 2020 update has been released.

Hello,

I am pleased to announce we have released an update to the Power BI Report Server (October 2020) with several fixes to problems commonly reported here on the Power BI Community Forums.  The release can be found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57270

Changelog will be updated tomorrow with the following information: 

Version: 1.9.7627.11028 (Build 15.0.1104.264), Released: November 18, 2020
        - Bug fixes
            - Fixed issue preventing users from changing fields in site settings via the portal.
            - Fixed issue with refresh of Power BI Reports when using 'EnterData' data source.
            - Fixed issue with refresh of some models using enhanced dataset metadata.
            - Fixed issue where some Power BI reports could not be published to the Report Server from Power BI Desktop

Thanks for being active part of the Power BI community and please let us know if you run into any problems.

-Pete
97 REPLIES 97
theerayooth

Hi Petebro,

I have a fresh installation of PBIRS 1.9.7675.15620 (October 2020)) developer version and create a report with Power BI Desktop (October 2020) to publish on PBIRS. I found the error as attached. 

Anyone facing the same issue? Please suggest me to solve the problem.

Upload .pbix created from Power BI October 2020 to PBIRS October 2020Upload .pbix created from Power BI October 2020 to PBIRS October 2020

 

The January, 2021 release came out last week, and we upgraded over the weekend.  

Overall, the Jan, 2021 seems faster, and has some nice features : +

Unfortunately, the preview features, at least for us, are still DOA.

And any Oct, 2020 reports where the preview feature 'store datasets using enhanced metadata format' was enabled still do not work. And using the latest Jan 2021 PBI Desktop w/ the feature disabled on the older reports does not correct. so those older reports are still DOA.

Getting the error:
SessionID: 16b00eb9-c420-4d29-a0f2-fbd1fe3f7ba7
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[1] -1055129594: The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed
- and yes, the connection was tested and saved in the report server before testing refresh.

What about new reports created with the preview feature enabled ( Jan 2021 PBIdesktop) with the new Janu 2021 PBIRS?
That does not work as well. With this, we get the error:
SessionID: 01641946-eb6e-436b-8858-8172a1c19212
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource xxx.xx is not found.
- and yes, the connection was tested and saved in the report server before testing refresh.
We are advising to not use the any preview features.

Did you update the desktop and server to January version or just Desktop then edit reports?

Unfortunately because of how the model metadata feature work any report upgraded to enhanced model metadata will remain in that state reguardless of the current preview feature status. However, we addressed many of the issues facing refresh with the January server upgrade including underlying issues that caused 'Datasource xxx.xx is not found' and 'No credentials were found for the datasource.' to be surfaced.

Yes,  That is exactly what I did.  At least any new reports that accidentily have the preview feature that is enabled with the Jan 2021 PBI Desktop can be swtiched back with the feature disabled. But the preview feature does not work for our setup.

johnson_j

I have upgraded to Version: 1.9.7675.15620 (Build 15.0.1104.300), Released: January 8, 2021 and still have the same issue with reports not refreshing. So far, only reports originally created or edited with the preview feature enabled are affected. 

My only workaround has been to repeat hours of work re-creating reports or re-editing recovered AppData reports again with the preview feature disabled. Simply resaving the report or making new edits to the original report won't fix this if the report was ever saved with the preview feature on. It's basically a burned file at that point. 

I love PowerBI, but this  release has been an epic failure wasting too much of my time. 

Our situation is the same johnson_j.  

Still having issues with the October 2020 'Preview feature" problem

1) we have confirmed that if the feature is never enabled for a report, it all works.
2) but once enabled, it cannot be "un-enabled" - This is the real Problem!

What we have done:

1) re-installed the latest Power BI Desktop ( optimiated for Power BI Report Server - october 2020)
which is, as of Jan 26, 2021: Version: 2.86.1321.0 Date Published:11/18/2020, just to ensure we have the latest Desktop version

2) Installed the latest Power BI Report Server; Version: 15.0.1104.300 Date Published: 1/7/2021

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello johnson,
Unfortunately, This is the best solution so far.
Best regards,

Hi  Everyone,

I had a information from microsoft support team that there will be a new release  of Power Bi Server on coming 28/Jan/2021, Hope this release  will resolve  this issue 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I agree. The October version has left such an impact with the Power BI report server customers, that we have to think twice before accepting the next release. In regards to your issue, I have been doing the same thing. But for me, I copy paste the advanced editor query for each data source, make the connections and then copy paste the visuals. This has reduced quite some time on my hands from redoing everything from scratch. But then again, didn't expect to go through this trouble at all when I had updated to October version.

Thanks.

YasrefBITeam
Frequent Visitor

Hi Pete,
We are facing  issues during data refesh  for   the Data Source  "Xtract Universal", which is extracting data from SAP to any destination (PBI  / SQL). 
Please find the below System configuration :

Power BI Server  Product version : 15.0.1104.264
Power BI Desktop (RS)  - 2.86.1321.0 (20.10) (x64)
OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.14393.0 (x64 en-US)
CLR Version:  4.7 or later [Release Number = 528049]
IE Version: 11.3986.14393.0

SQL Server
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 (RTM) - 15.0.2000.5 (X64)   Sep 24 2019 13:48:23   Copyright (C) 2019 Microsoft Corporation  Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Standard 10.0 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor)

There are some Questions you have asked  and i am providing the answer

1.Are you having issues with all reports or just this one? -   Only One DataSource is having Issues.
2.Can you say the types of datasources found within this report? - "Xtract Universal" From Theobald-Software
3.Anything different/unique as it related to datasources connectivity in it? -  Connectivity through XU Webserver.
4.I assume the refresh fails consistently as well? - Yes

Note : - Apart from Xtract Universal, the Power BI server  doing well data refresh  on other data sources.( SQL server)

Error Msg :

SessionID: abfe4b75-42fa-46ed-ac20-e3305bc21f24
[0] -1056505856: COM error: mscorlib, An item with the same key has already been added..
[1] -1055129594: The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.
[2] -1056505856: COM error: mscorlib, An item with the same key has already been added..

Thanks.

Musthafa

Petebro
Employee
Employee

We are absolutely not ignoring or taking the customer pain lightly. We are working on solutions to issues and updates to products. I would recommend you take a look at the pinned thread found here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/December-2020-Update-Issues-Regarding-Power-BI-Report...

Thanks @Petebro  - hadn't seena reply from MS users in the various original threads - glad to see this is underway elsewhere. Thanks. 

ianmanton
Frequent Visitor

@Petebro  are microsoft simply ignoring this issue and the numerous reports and steps users have documented to help pinpoint this for resolution?

dfarris
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue as everyone else.  Fresh install on Dev server and not able to get scheduled refreshes to work with or without Preview feature.  When will this get fixed?

ilan
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue (no cred). I've actually started writing my pbix with may 2020 version and upgraded the server (and desktop) to Oct 2020 during development so my backup copy of the pbix in the appdata folder is old and unusable. Other reports are refreshing fine.
I've tried to resave data sources as suggested in p. 4 of this thread but that did not solve my issue. I cannot refresh this new pbix with the preview feature turned on or off. I even copy and pasted the pbix elements to a new pbix file but the refresh doesn't work for that file either. 
Any other solutions I've missed?

Michael_Mertens
Resolver I
Resolver I

I think the question of making a preview feature enabled by default is so important that it should have its own thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Preview-Feature-in-Desktop-for-RS-Oct-2020-enabled-by...

DenisPH
Regular Visitor

The October updates are really a joke. ‌😡

Lastest Report Server and latest Desktop Applikation (Oct Release).

I have unchecked the preview feature mentoined above... edited my report, saved it, uploaded it to the report server -> its working.

Then I reopend the report from my local disk, errror while opening:

Because of n:m Relationship which is not supported -> Report has no n:m Relationships

OR

Model with DirectyQuery AND Imported FIles whis is also not supported -> Report has only DirectQuerys

I edited the report, saved it, closed Power BI Desktop, uploaded it to Report Server and reopend the SAME file from my local disk and then boom error.

Now, the report is working in our report server but I'am unable to edit it, because I can't open it...

Iam totaly pissed, really. Its a shame, sorry.

@DenisPH Do you have any copies of the report in the backup folder here:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS\TempSaves\Backups

If you do, try opening that copy but make sure you have the Ehanced Metadata switch turned off before opening. Also you mention the report is working fine in the server, were you seeing issues either in Desktop or Server when the switch was turned on? You can also try reopening your existing report with Enhanced metadata turned on and I suspect it will work, however that goes to my question above on what issues were seeing before.

@mgmeyer 

Hi,

Do you have any copies of the report in the backup folder here

No backup available, folder is empty.

If you do, try opening that copy but make sure you have the Ehanced Metadata switch turned off before opening.

Ehanced Metadata is/was already off while opening the report.

Also you mention the report is working fine in the server, were you seeing issues either in Desktop or Server when the switch was turned on?

With Ehanced Metadata on, I was not able to open the report in the server.

You can also try reopening your existing report with Enhanced metadata turned on and I suspect it will work

With Ehanced Metadata on, I can't open the report in the desktop applikation, same error like before with Ehanced Metadata turned off.

isabeljp

Since I upgraded some of my reports have been wiping themselves, and it's still happening after the update. First the custom themes disappear and then the visuals themselves just totally vanish and new visuals can't be added. I also can't save reports that have the new 2.0 version of the Sharepoint online list connector.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.