Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Power BI Report Server October 2020 update has been released.

Hello,

I am pleased to announce we have released an update to the Power BI Report Server (October 2020) with several fixes to problems commonly reported here on the Power BI Community Forums.  The release can be found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57270

Changelog will be updated tomorrow with the following information: 

Version: 1.9.7627.11028 (Build 15.0.1104.264), Released: November 18, 2020
        - Bug fixes
            - Fixed issue preventing users from changing fields in site settings via the portal.
            - Fixed issue with refresh of Power BI Reports when using 'EnterData' data source.
            - Fixed issue with refresh of some models using enhanced dataset metadata.
            - Fixed issue where some Power BI reports could not be published to the Report Server from Power BI Desktop

Thanks for being active part of the Power BI community and please let us know if you run into any problems.

-Pete
97 REPLIES 97
MvdP
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have the same problem since the last update to the October version of the Report Server.
Here I found there was a bugfix (Version 1.9.7627.11028 (October 2020), but after installing that one, the problem still remains with scheduled and manual refreshing:

[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[1] -1055784828: The database operation was cancelled because of an earlier failure.
[2] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource <urlToOdataFeed> is not found..
[3] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

In Power BI Desktop (the version provided by de last update to be downloaded: Version: 2.86.1321.0 64-bit (oktober 2020)) there are no problems with the connections and when I create a new report with the same connections (SQL and OData-feed) the scheduled refresh works fine.

What do I have to do to fix the existing reports, so scheduled refresh works again?

Hi, did you try opening and saving the data connections of the report?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-October-2020-update-has-been-r...

The above steps solved my issues with scheduled refreshing of existing reports.

MvdP
Frequent Visitor

I followed the steps for some reports now and it seems to work.

Thanks a lot for sharing the steps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The workaround I found for myself at the moment was to create the reports from scratch for the ones that were being affected. And keep saving to the RS after each inclusion of new data source to make sure that the scheduled refresh was working step by step. Once that was done I simiply added the visuals from previous dashboards to the new one, and replaced the old dashboard in Report Server.

Another issue I faced now though, was when trying out the phone layout feature. Seems that after arranging the phone layout, and then saving it to RS, the dashboard shows blank page. Thus kept myself away from it for now.  Any one else faced this issue?

Regards,

Modasher.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar experience which might help Microsoft to identify and resolve the issue.

I upgraded our DEV server to the latest October 2020 version (Version 1.9.7627.11028).

After the upgrade, a scheduled refresh for a Power BI report using a Web connection retrieving data from the ServiceNow API started to fail with the following error:
"Errors":[{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"Credentials are required to connect to the Web source. (Source at https://*******.service-now.com/api/now/table/incident.). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null}

The stored Connection string in PBIRS is the following:
https://*******.service-now.com/api/now/table/incident

I opened the report in Power BI Desktop Version: 2.81.5831.1181 64-bit (May 2020) and saved it. Then I saw that the Connection string in PBIRS got updated to the following:
https://*******.service-now.com/api/now/table/incident?sysparm_query=priority%3D1%5EORpriority%3D2%5Esys_created_on%3E%3Djavascript%3Ags.dateGenerate('2020-01-01'%2C'00%3A00%3A00')&sysparm_display_value=true&sysparm_exclude_reference_link=true&sysparm_fields=number%2Cpriority%2Cincident_state%2Ccategory%2Cshort_description%2Cservice_offering%2Cassignment_group%2Cproblem_id%2Cassigned_to%2Csys_updated_on%2Crfc%2Ccaller_id%2Cclosed_at%2Ccompany%2Csla_due%2Cseverity%2Csys_created_on%2Cstate%2Copened_at%2Curgency%2Ccmdb_ci%2Cresolved_at%2Cu_external_parent_ticket%2Cu_external_problem_ticket%2Cu_external_reference%2Cu_external_ticket

And this made the refresh to start working again. (However, I would say the Connection string should obviously not contain the full API call...)

To confirm that the issue is coming with the new PBIRS version I saved the report to our TEST server, which is still on Version 1.8.7485.35104 (May 2020). Here the Connection string is saved as it was before, that is:
https://ferring.service-now.com/api/now/table/incident

And the refresh also works without any issues on this version.

I really hope Microsoft is able to resolve the issue with the October 2020 version as soon as possible, as the users are screaming for the new features that comes with it.

However, I would never dream of upgrading our PROD server with this release - just imagine having to manually open each report and save it again in order to fix the scheduled refreshes gives my nightmares!

Regards,

Thomas

Anonymous
Not applicable

While doing scheduled refresh in PBIRS some errors occur for some newly published reports.

{"SessionID":"c438e615-b3a6-45e3-a811-30e7f62729a1","Errors":[{"ErrorCode":-1056505856,"Message":"COM error: mscorlib, An item with the same key has already been added..","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null}]}

{"SessionID":"8989c16c-4b2c-4736-a127-7fc984ec23a9","Errors":[{"ErrorCode":-1056505856,"Message":"COM error: mscorlib, An item with the same key has already been added..","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055129594,"Message":"The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null}]}

{"SessionID":"81a7d4cf-8cdf-4c4c-b5d9-7cf050c5e8c1","Errors":[{"ErrorCode":-1056505856,"Message":"COM error: mscorlib, An item with the same key has already been added..","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055129594,"Message":"The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null}]}

{"SessionID":"886e20e3-14bd-4b7e-917d-7d77d18eedc8","Errors":[{"ErrorCode":-1056505856,"Message":"COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055129594,"Message":"The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.","CallStack":null},{"ErrorCode":-1055784932,"Message":"The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.","CallStack":null}]}

When new release of Power BI Report Server October 2020 will be available?

erbash23
Frequent Visitor

Hi @gboreki 

Is there any clarified road map and time to fix this issue. 

This is very annoying situation. Please share information, waiting to hear from you.

Thanks,

Faruk

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,
I reverted back on Power BI Desktop version, re-installing May 2020 version on my laptop.
When opening a report saved with this version and pushing it to the Report Server in October 2020 version, it seems that the data refresh scheduling is working.
I wondering if the troubles we are having with the data refresh scheduling with October 2020 Desktop version are not due to the new preview functionnality "Store datasets using enhanced metadata format".
If it's possible for you, Microsoft guys, could you please make a version of Power BI Desktop October 2020 without this preview functionnality, and with the previous mode of DataSets storage which is implemented into May 2020 version of Power BI Desktop?

Best regards,

BenT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
Please find below another error message I've got this morning trying to schedule a report refresh:
SessionID: b93d2bc1-7d3c-463f-8042-1d3d70ed66af
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource LULUX1370;APPSAT is not found..
[1] -1055784828: The database operation was cancelled because of an earlier failure.
[2] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[3] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource LULUX1370;APPSAT is not found..
[4] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[5] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[6] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[7] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[8] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource LULUX1370;APPSAT is not found..
[9] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[10] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[11] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,
I also tried operations below but nothing is changing and still having error messages like "Datasource XXX is not found.." and "No credentials were found for the datasource":
- removing credentials (clearing permissions)
- Checking/unchecking "Store datasets using enhanced metadata format"

SQL Server on which we are requesting data is in 2016 version on windows server 2016

Thanks for your support,

BenT

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Internally we are unable to reproduce any of the issues reported in this thread on the servicing release mentioned in the original post. The suggestion is to follow up with Customer Support teams directly as the issues you are facing will require logs and access that we wouldn't be able to get from you here on the forums.

For your question about upgrade the options are as you said backing up the DB and moving to May would work, but you can also open the affected reports in Power BI Desktop and in the settings turn off the "Enhanced model metadata" preview feature and resave the report the October release to disable the features which may be impacting you.

Hi @Anonymous , cm6431

Just wanted to provide an update on top of the message that Pete have above. Currently, we dot not have a repro for any issue reported after the update to october release, this makes it dificult for us to provide an updated version. In order to make progress we are looking for someone:

Who are running the updated october release (version 15.0.1104.264 published on 11/18/2020),
Have republished their report using enhanced metadata enabled after the updated version of PBIDesktop optimized for reportserver (version 2.86.1321.0 published on 11/18/2020),
Is willing to share the pbit of the report and relevant logs from the server.
So if you have a consistent issues and are willing to provide a repro, please reach out to @Petebro or myself so we can investigate. We also understand that you might only have a repro using confidential data that can't be shared, in that case I suggest to contact your microsoft support contact who can help diagnose the problem and build a repro without sensistive data.

Also, for customers who have upgraded and are blocked with issues, I just want to call out the workaround. Before the file is upgrated to the new format, a backup copy is saved in the app data folder:

C:\Users\guboreki\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS\TempSaves\Backups

And the "enhanced metadata option can be disabled under options/preview features in powerbi desktop". So in short, you can disable this option, restart powerbi desktop, reopen the backup and you should be able to use with the same format as it did in May 2020. But a word of warning is that the fallback option will be removed in the next release of report server, so we want to identify and fix any issues that we are having with enhanced metadata.

Thanks

-gboreki

Hi @Petebro @gboreki 

Mainly, thank you so much for support and for fast resolve problems in initial version of October PBI RS.

We are currently planning rollout PBI RS and PBI Desktop (RS) to production environment (including automated installation of PBI Desktop (RS) for users). On test environment (with October (.264) version), there are no major issues (including re-saving report with enabled enhanced metadata preview, which looks ok, there). But we are not able test all scenarios, and I'm fear about this preview functionality in real scenario (with many issues reported by other users).

Frankly speaking, it's terrifying if any "preview" feature, is turned "ON" in by default installation.

Please, is possible re-release PBI Desktop (RS) with by default "turned off" this "preview" feature (I don't want remove this feature). Or is possible provide steps, how switch off this feature for all automated installations (e.g. cmd switch during installation, or registry update after installation)?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @gboreki , 

We will be raising a ticket with the Customer Care Support for further assistance.

In regard to your query for further testing, I can share resources for one of the files from our server with you if you like. Since the community page doesn't allow sharing Pbix files, please let me know of a valid medium to send you the files which you require for initiating tests on your end. 

At the moment I have only shared images with Petebro of the processes performed. 

The issues are still there for scheduled refresh where the data source was folder type located in a mapped drive. Even after taking the necessary steps which you have advised such as turning off the enhanced data feature. 

modasher_0-1606178439094.png

Any advise/queries, please let me know.

Regards,

Modasher.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is there any update on this so that we can upgrade to a functional version of Report Server. 

Only way to rollback for us is to uninstall and install the whole server, which we would rather keep as our last option.

Regards,

Modasher.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Petebro , 

Thank you for your post, but we are still waiting for the full update, cause there are still several annoying bugs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
I'm still having refresh issues, even installing the patched version of the report server.

Reports datasources are mainly SQL databases.
Errors messages are various but refresh is still not working:

Example 1:
SessionID: 1ac2c341-9031-403f-b2e9-4255696a4a50
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[1] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[2] -1055784828: The database operation was cancelled because of an earlier failure.

Example 2:
SessionID: b96cc89d-c112-4322-b0cd-aa1d8560acb4
[0] -1056505856: COM error: mscorlib, An item with the same key has already been added..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Anonymous , 

We have the exact same error for no reason. Our report was successfully running and refreshing for 5 months. After we updated the server, it started to crash.

If you found any solution, please let me know.

erbash23
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

October 2020 latest update version still has got some problems. When You're planning to release new version of October update.

Power BI Reporting Server & Dekstop versions : 

erbash23_0-1606124083804.png  Untitled.png

I can successfully refresh data from power bi dekstop, but when it comes to scheduled refresh from power bi report server it starts to show below error. On the other hand, simple sample report with only one dataset from mssql working properly with preview feature disabled. But complex models with multiple dataset from mssql and enter data funcion from power bi is not working it gives below error. Previous version May 2020 was working properly with no problem. 

Untitled.png

Datasources : MSSQL 2017 Enterprise, Enter Data option in power bi 

And also mobile reporting starts to show nothing for this situation reports. But we can open report from web.

Please help ! 

tjcps
Regular Visitor

I rolledback the version of PBIRS for May 2020 and now it's ok!
I will wait a while longer to update again.

But, ansewering your questions:
1) A few
2) Web and SQL servers
3) Not at all. The web content is to get a Json from a website. The others are SQL Server tables.
4) Yes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello tjcps,
Could you please tell me how did you rollback the version of May?
Trying te install May version but I've got an error message saying I can't because I installed a newer version (October one).
Regards,
BenT

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.