Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Power BI Report Server October 2020 update has been released.

Hello,

I am pleased to announce we have released an update to the Power BI Report Server (October 2020) with several fixes to problems commonly reported here on the Power BI Community Forums.  The release can be found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57270

Changelog will be updated tomorrow with the following information: 

Version: 1.9.7627.11028 (Build 15.0.1104.264), Released: November 18, 2020
        - Bug fixes
            - Fixed issue preventing users from changing fields in site settings via the portal.
            - Fixed issue with refresh of Power BI Reports when using 'EnterData' data source.
            - Fixed issue with refresh of some models using enhanced dataset metadata.
            - Fixed issue where some Power BI reports could not be published to the Report Server from Power BI Desktop

Thanks for being active part of the Power BI community and please let us know if you run into any problems.

-Pete
97 REPLIES 97
cm6431
Regular Visitor

Upgraded Power BI Report Server and confirmed Version: 1.9.7627.11028  is now installed.

Chose Manage for an existing report then confirmed Data Sources credentials are correct and connection tested successfully. Attempted a Refresh Now and received this error:

SessionID: 6bbca19a-154f-4758-bb4c-a62cbbe06ae3
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[1] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[2] -1055784828: The database operation was cancelled because of an earlier failure.

Installed Microsoft Power BI Desktop (October 2020) (x64) version 2.86.1321.0.  Chose Edit in Power BI Desktop and Refreshed All.  Confirmed data refreshed, saved, and closed.  Succesfully tested credentials again, and attempted to Refresh Now, only to receive similar error.  Tested reports with Teradata data sources then tested with Vertica sources using direct connection and ODBC.  All fail with error regarding "No credentials were found for the datasource."

Still have hundreds of unhappy users with non-working reports in a corporate environment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cm6431 , 

We also have the same problem. everything works good except when we schedule refresh the reports. Then we receive meaningless errors like "Data source not found", "Credintioals are not correct", "There is no data available in the database" or even "An element with the same key has already been added"

Petebro
Employee
Employee

My mistake I thought it did. I sent you a PM. It's possible the credentials weren't saved after you tested the connection. Reenter the credentials, click save, then click test connection to ensure they are working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pete, 

Yes I did save. Power BI RS doesn't allow creating scheduled refreshes unless I provide valid saved credentials in the Data Sources.

Regards,

Modasher.

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Would it be possible you could PM me the PBIX report you are facing the issue with as we are unable to reproduce this issue after the uodate locally.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please find the attachments (images) I have sent to you via PM. Please be advised that it has to be a mapped drive as auto refresh/scheduled refresh don't work on local drive. Hope that helps. 

A few items to investigate could be:

- mapped drive

- transformed data in Query editor

- folder as source (with spreadsheet inside)

- Scheduled refresh

Regards,

Modasher.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Petebro,

It seems that PMs don't support zip or pbix files. Could you please advise how to communicate with you.

modasher_0-1605841967824.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue occurs for all the reportes when the pbix has transformed spreadsheets in the Query editor. 

I will need to create a sample to demonstrate that, but can't share the pbix file for confidentiality.

Could you please advise what do you mean by update locally? I can refresh the data from Desktop, but from server it doesnt run the scheduled refresh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I can confirm that the issue still exists where the sources are folder types. 

Regards,

Modasher.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I have the following Server versions and the latest Power BI Desktop versions as well. The refresh for a few of the sources such as folder (with spreadsheets taken in as legacy) are not refreshing via server, but are refreshing via desktop. 

modasher_0-1605837387234.png

modasher_1-1605837522483.png

modasher_2-1605837567423.png

Regards,

Modasher.

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Strictly speaking the refresh errors as well as the publish from desktop errors will be fixed by applying the server fix only.

With that said it's always recommended to also have the latest desktop.

blairblair
Helper I
Helper I

@Petebro , do we just need to update report server or do we need to download desktop as well?

Petebro
Employee
Employee

1. Are you having issues with all reports or just this one?
  2. Can you say the types of datasources found within this report?
  3. Anything different/unique as it related to datasources connectivity in it?
  4. I assume the refresh fails consistently as well even after the restart of the server?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The issue exists for the datasources which are using folder/spreadsheets.

Regards,

Modasher.

bryanshaw46
Resolver I
Resolver I

bryanshaw46_0-1605813507987.png

its gone again and I just found it and connected

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Before you connect to PBIRS  they will be hidden, but show up when you connect to the instance. Perhaps this is what you saw.

config2.PNG

Yep, that is it.

bryanshaw46
Resolver I
Resolver I

ok, that is just too weird.  Now they are there.  This morning, they were not.

bryanshaw46
Resolver I
Resolver I

The Scaled Out and the Power BI Cloud tabs are missing in the Report Configuration Manager

@bryanshaw46 Can you provide a screenshot? After you connect to the PBIRS instance the options should show up per usual.

config.PNG

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Ah that may be because of a limitation listed here. I've filed a bug for a future release to return a better error message for this error in refresh.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources

Power BI Report Server has a limitation when using web data: only data files from web can be refreshed. Data based on Page or By example aren't refreshable. This limitation is because the M expressions created with Web.BrowserContents and Web.Page can't be refreshed. Power BI Report Server can only refresh Web.Contents data sources.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.