Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Power BI Report Server May 2021 Released!

Today we are pleased to release the May 2021 update for Power BI Report Server. The May release comes with many fixes for issues posted here on the community forums.

Microsoft Download Center link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56722

The changelog will soon be updated with the following information:

May 2021

Power BI Report Server

Version: 1.11.7815.26414 (Build 15.0.1106.169), Released: May 27, 2021

• Features
    • Added enhancements for PBIX reports containing "models with enhanced metadata".
    • Custom Visual API shipped with release - version 3.5.0
  • Bug fixes
    • Fixed issue with caching of linked reports.
    • Fixed issue where "Changed by" section would show incorrect date on some PBIX reports.
    • Fixed issue causing "Datasource is not found" for PBIX report data sources.
    • Fixed issue causing "No credentials were found for the datasource" for PBIX report data sources.
    • Fixed permission issue for live connect of SSAS tabular PBIX reports.
    • Fixed various issues in new portal preview.

Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server)

• Version: 2.93.982.0 (May 2021), Released: May 27, 2021
    • Contains changes required for connection with Power BI Report Server (May 2021).
    • "Models with enhanced metadata" is now the only option for modeling in Power BI Desktop for RS.
    • Bug fixes

I also wanted to take this opportunity to highlight a few things.

Internet Explorer is deprecated in this release and this will be the last release for IE. Users who connect to the portal with IE will see an warning stating that it will not be supported soon. In the September release later this year IE will not be supported.

Several fixes and changes were added to the new Portal experience preview ("Portal2") but it is not the default experience after installation.  "Portal2" has a new theme and slightly different user experiences in some areas of the product. It will be the default in the September release later this year, and only option in future releases beyond that. Because of this we highly encourage validating your important scenarios in the new portal and let us know if you encounter any issues. Please try it the same way you did in January by setting "UsePortalV2" to "True" in the ConfigurationInfo table of the catalog for your Reportserver. 

Finally, "models with enhanced metadata" will once again be the default (and only) option for reports created in the May version of Power BI Desktop for Report Server. Some users may recall this switch happened in October 2020 and had a few issues. Since then the team has been hard at work trying to ensure all known bugs are addressed. Power BI reports that exist today on your Reportserver will be unchanged, and should continue to work as they have. Additionally uploading reports that have no been upgraded to have enhanced metadata will still work on your reportserver.  Any reports opened and saved back to the server with the May version of Desktop will be upgraded to have this feature enabled. This upgrade is one way and cannot be undone, so for the cautious I would recommend saving copies of reports to ensure refresh works as expected before upgrading the main copy of your reports. We do not anticipate any issues will arise with refresh of models that have been upgraded, but if you do encounter an issue please contact support and/or create a new thread with as much detail as possible and tag me and I will try to reply as quickly as possible.

-Pete

30 REPLIES 30

Can you log into the machine you ran the report server installation on and connect to http://localhost/reports with IE launched as admin and tell me if you get the same error seen above in the portal?

That works, but I log in as a different user on that machine.

Yes Still getting same error

PBI_Error.PNG

I need to revert back to the previous version of Report Server.  This new one only runs for a few hours and then locks up the server with 'out of memory' message.

How do revert to a previous version? 

I've been fighting this for months.  To get around it I found that I can download the file, change it, then upload it.  

I am sorry not clear

Sorry.  I'm having trouble with trying to edit files from the Portal.  But I'm getting the same error message as you.

alxdean
Advocate V
Advocate V

A little bit underwhelmed by this release. Merely a few bug fixes and stabilisations. What about some of the much needed features, like providing an Analysis-Services endpoint for the datasets so we can reuse datasets just like online? or composite models, or at least the ability to use dual mode?

I agree, it feels like our updates every 4 months are lighter than a single month of update in the Cloud version. I understand that they really really want us to move to the Cloud and assign ressources accordingly but as a paying customer it feels pretty bad to see this product being seemingly ignored.

There are still valid use case for On-Premises and it shouldn't be abandoned.

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Petebro ,

Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.