Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

datalearner
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server Log Files Administration

Hi All, Our Power BI Report Server LogFiles folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles) is huge (38 GB) and requires more attention. I'm curious to know best practices and tips form the community on the Power BI Report Server log files. I welcome any insight on any of the following questions. Thanks!

1. How long do you keep RSHostingServiceyyyy_mm_dd_hh_mm__ss files ending in .log with a file type of Text Document?

2. How long do you keep RSpowerBIyyyy_mm_dd_hh_mm__ss files ending in .log with text document file type ?

3. How long do you keep SQLDumpr files ending in .mdmp with a file type of Dump File? 

4. How long do you keep SQLDumpr files ending in .log with a file type of Text Document? 

5. Is anyone doing Power BI reporting from these log files?

6. Is there a schema reference for the Power BI Report Server log files?

7. What nuances are poeople using for configuration settings regarding log files?

8 REPLIES 8
kerrinhardy

Hi all

We are looking at this now for our production on-premise instance of Power BI Report Server.  Now that a couple of years have passed since this thread was started, I was hoping there might be some advise or documentation available now to give us a head start.

Thank you for all your help. 

cc: @datalearner @Anonymous @Anonymous @messerjc 

datalearner
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous,  @v-yulgu-msft, @riccardomuti, @mgmeyer 
Can you please help us understand? 
I would greatly appreciate your knowledge, insight, or commments. Thank you!

Since you mentioned memory dump files, they can be large and a sign of an unexpected error having occurred, or possibly still occurring over and over again. Have you checked the .log files for an exception occurring over and over again?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I'm aware of that, hence the reason I was trying to figure out how to read the different log files. And my subsequent discovery that there's little to no documentation on which files do what.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Up. Any answers to these questions?

datalearner
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous @messerjc What determinations/decisions/approaches have you made with your log file folder?

messerjc
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I have no answers for you because we're just starting to explore using this too, but great questions so I'm replying in hopes of following this thread for good feedback. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah I'd seocnd all of these questions. Monitoring this in the production environment does not seem to be straight forward.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.