Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CoulterJames2
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server - Live Connection to Azure Analysis Services

I have an Power BI Report Server and the associated edition of Power BI Desktop (September 2019). I am trying to create a Power BI report that gets data from an Azure Analysis Services tabular model via a live connection.

After selecting Get Data > Azure Analysis Services database and entering the database details, I'm first prompted for my credentials, but then get the following error message:

Cannot load model

We couldn't connect to your Analysis Services database. Double-check that your server and database names are correct, and make sure you have permission to access them.

Resolution of actual cluster endpoint of Azure Analysis Server: 'asazure://<region>.asazure.windows.net/<instance>' failed.

Response from server:

Technical details:

RootActivityId:

Date (UTC):

I can import data into Power BI and I can connect to the model via SQL Server Management Studio using the same credentials, so not sure why I can't create a live connection? I am working on a server that might have some firewall restrictions.

Power BI version: 2.73.5586.1501 64-bit (September 2019)

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@CoulterJames2 wrote:

I am working on a server that might have some firewall restrictions.

So I suggest you start by checking these firewall restrictions. One quick check could be to try running a client tool like Power BI Desktop or SSMS. Or if you don't want to install either of those you could also try running a query against AAS using Powershell. This will let you check if the issue is related to PBIRS or if it is a general connection issue.

As I mentioned originally, SSMS can connect to the tabular model fine. Power BI Desktop (RS) does not. I can import data from the model, but cannot connect live.

Hi, any solutions for this one?

I am having the same error...

Sorry I misread your post and through you were getting the error after uploading to PBIRS

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.