cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philmo Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Power BI Report Server Licensing

Thanks @Molotch

My challenge is that I want to provide the client with a tool to tailor our reports and create their own from scratch, using the data warehouse as a source. 

martinb1 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Our customer has  the active  SA  of  SQL server  Enterprise  edition with the server+CAL license model.  The server+CAL model  is not available for the Enterprise editon of  SQL server since 2012. We have found in the SQL server 2017 licence guide the information that with the availability of ongoing SA coverage customers licensed under the Server+CAL model can retain access to the latest product enhancements and ,advanced capabilities of Enterprise Edition and that there are no programmatic conversions to core licenses. 

Does our customer have the rights to run Power BI report server on a licenced server and does he find the licence keys for Power BI report server in the Volume licencing Service Center in spite of the server+CAL licencing model ?  

martinb1 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Our customer has  the active  SA  of  SQL server  Enterprise  edition with the server+CAL license model. Does he have the right to run Power BI report server on a licenced server and does he find the licence keys for Power BI report server in the Volume licencing Service Center or  is Power BI report server a benefit only for the per core license model  ?  

Highlighted
MarcosBabu Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I've seen this statement everywhere "...to purchase SQL Server Enterprise Edition + Software Assurance" to license PBI Report, BUT no word on the pricing page of Power BI itself (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing) regarding this. And the pricing pages for SQL (either 2016/2017) also don't mention the possibility to use this licensing (per core) to license PBI Report (instead of using Premium.

Any reason for that?