cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaTechJunkie
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server Licensing and users

Hi all

Currently using the Power BI reporting server(Trial Version 6 months) and destop version to create my reports, my situation is that only myself an another user creates reports and they may be views by maybe 5 other users, 2 creators and 5 users to view the content.  Just looking for a bit of advise on what i would need to purchase as all reports will only be viewed internally within the companys office/network.

Many Thanks

DaTechJunkie

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Power BI Report Server Licensing and users

Hi @DaTechJunkie,

My understanding is if you already have SQL Server Enterprise with Software Assurance then you don't need to buy anything. As the RS server is licenced under that agreement, and just like SSRS reports you can publish to the on-prem server and assign access rights to any domain users you like. 

But if you don't have software assurance then you need to purchase PBI Premium licence (I think) which gives you the right to install the RS server locally.

Maybe a MS staffer can comfirm this please.

Regards
Rob

DaTechJunkie
Frequent Visitor

Re: Power BI Report Server Licensing and users

Hi @Anonymous 

I was thinking/hoping that a Pro user License may have been enough as the Premium License is a few thousand £/$ and trying to do reporting on a budget, but i will have to see what is the most cost effective way of reporting, as will only be a small group of individuals who will be accessing these reports.

Kind Regards

DaTechJunkie

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors