Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DaTechJunkie
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server Licensing and users

Hi all

Currently using the Power BI reporting server(Trial Version 6 months) and destop version to create my reports, my situation is that only myself an another user creates reports and they may be views by maybe 5 other users, 2 creators and 5 users to view the content.  Just looking for a bit of advise on what i would need to purchase as all reports will only be viewed internally within the companys office/network.

Many Thanks

DaTechJunkie

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DaTechJunkie,

My understanding is if you already have SQL Server Enterprise with Software Assurance then you don't need to buy anything. As the RS server is licenced under that agreement, and just like SSRS reports you can publish to the on-prem server and assign access rights to any domain users you like. 

But if you don't have software assurance then you need to purchase PBI Premium licence (I think) which gives you the right to install the RS server locally.

Maybe a MS staffer can comfirm this please.

Regards
Rob

Hi @Anonymous 

I was thinking/hoping that a Pro user License may have been enough as the Premium License is a few thousand £/$ and trying to do reporting on a budget, but i will have to see what is the most cost effective way of reporting, as will only be a small group of individuals who will be accessing these reports.

Kind Regards

DaTechJunkie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.