Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

djpirra
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Report Server Licensing Clarifications

Hi everyone,

I am a little bit confused with all the information regarding the licensing of Power BI Report Server.

Currently I have a scenario where I cannot take advantages of cloud so we will focus only on on-premises licensing.

This is a BI architecture so we will be using a hosting company that provides the VMs for SQL Server with SPLA licenses (SQLSvrEntCore 2019 SNGL OLP 2Lic NL CoreLic Qlfd).

Will I need to request more of these licenses from the hosting provider to the cover the Power BI Report Server VM?

If so, are these licenses types ok to cover the PBIRS? If not, I need to request customer to aquire individual licenses for this and use BYOL? 

What is the licensing for UAT and DEV environments?

Regards,

LS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, you are probably right. If the hosting company providing licenses with SA then SQL Server EE should be enough to use PBIRS for production. Meanwhile, you can use a Trial version of PBIRS for DEV & UAT. 

Note: PBIRS trial version is valid for 180 Days only I think.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

Power BI Report Server License covers by 2 area

- Power BI Premium

SQL Server EE with Software Assurance (SA)

Ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/compare-report-server-service

We’ve recently updated our licensing terms to allow SQL Server Enterprise customers with software assurance to deploy Power BI Report Server on Azure VM’s for production use by leveraging their Azure Hybrid Benefit.  For many customers, moving their internal servers to Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) offerings in the cloud represent the first step in their digital transformation.  By making this license benefit available, SQL customers can now move their entire environment to Azure with their existing licenses and reduce the operational costs associated with managing an on-premises data center. 

Ref: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/licensing-and-roadmap-update-for-power-bi-report-server/

I think, What you need is

- SQL Server License should be Enterprise Edition 

- Hosting of VMs should be done at Azure if you are planning PRIRS on Cloud VMs.

Hi Farhan,

We will not be able to use Azure since there is no DC on the region.

The question was that the hosting company provides licenses with SA.. So I am assuming I have to aquire the correspondent SQL Server EE with SA for the Power BI Report Server machine (production only) and for UAT and DEV use the free?

Regards,

LS

Yes, you are probably right. If the hosting company providing licenses with SA then SQL Server EE should be enough to use PBIRS for production. Meanwhile, you can use a Trial version of PBIRS for DEV & UAT. 

Note: PBIRS trial version is valid for 180 Days only I think.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.