Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Report Server Issues with HA and NLB

Hello everyone,

I’ve installed Power BI Reporting Services as a scaled out deployment on two servers with the SSRS DB on a HA Always On Cluster. I’ve used a SSL Certificate for a virtual host name which is provided via a Windows Server NLB Cluster.

The configuration are guided by following msdn documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/sql/reporting-services/report-server/configure-a-report-server-on-a...

The most time everything works fine. But sometimes I get a “Element not found” error when I navigating between folders on the report manager webpage. Sometimes I get a error when I publish a PBI Report via the Desktop Client. If I close the desktop client and reopen it, mostly it works. If I upload the report via the webpage, it works almost good.

Does anyone have a idea?

I think there is a misconfiguration with the NLB – is there any best practice settings?

Thanks a lot!

Bye.

PS: The Event Log is clear - client and server side ...

27 REPLIES 27

Would it be possible to turn on diagnositc logging on the client to see if you get any indication of the possible error there? Are you sure there's aboslutly no clue in the server logs about the error? Can you check if your upload sessiosn jumps across servers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm.. today i found following error in the logs:

ReportingServicesService.log

library!DefaultDomain!1040!01/12/2018-12:55:42:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: Invalid PBI Configuration, Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error. ;

That error is unrelated to the PowerBI Reports feature, the configuration mentioned there is for sending a paginated report visual to the PowerBI.com , more details here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/install-windows/power-bi-report-server-integ....

For your problem publishing from the desktop I would recommend to use a network trace fromo the client to validate the errors you are getting from the server when the NLB is enabled 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is planned for Monday.

Gut the powerbi Feature for paginated Feature isnt configured. 

I get the Event ID 25 error at least on scale-out, will check standalone. The cause of the error is locale resources. For your case is looking for German (1031) language resources. Is it possible that you have installed a German version of PBI, but no German language on the Windows?

From your latest logs you are still having issues connecting to the database

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'ExtendedCatalog'.

Please double check that you are using network service account or a domain account  (can you share this line from your logs)

RSPortal!crypto!1!04/27/2017-11:27:31:: i INFO: Initializing crypto as user: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Also go to your SQL Server and ensure both of the machine accounts  (for network service will look like yourdomain\YourMachine$) are in the logins and that both have enough permission 

NT SERVICE\PowerBIReportServer is an internal group that should contain your domain service account, so you should be good there. I think the idea is that if you switch the service account, the URL reservations do not need to change.

Let's put the database error aside for now. Based on what you are saying that stopping one server works, there must be some misconfiguration. Let's see if we can find that.

First thing would be to provide your URL reservations in the rsreportserver.config file. You don't need to provide the actual urls, but mask them in a way that are consistent.

Second, when you restart the PBIRS service, a few log files are generated. Could you look into those and provide the following info?

1. In the RSPowerBI_YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MI_SS.log, there is one or more lines like this: “|INFO|1|CFG : Hosting-url-ReportServerWebApp = [a url here] (env)”. Can you provide the url?
  2. In the RSPortal_YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MI_SS.log, the is one or more lines like this: “INFO: Web app url: some url binding here”.  What does that look like?
  3. In the ReportingServicesService_YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MI_SS.log, there are three lines like below:
    • INFO: Using report server internal url  <a url here>.
    • INFO: Using report server external url <a url here>.
    • INFO: Using url root <a url here>.

By the way, how confident are you in performance of the Windows NLB? How do you know if that is not acting up?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.