Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

niyati_61
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Report Server: File Connectivity Issue

Hi all,

MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png

Power BI Desktop Version: 2.99.862.0 64-bit (November 2021)

I've purchased SQL Server Enterprise Edition 2019, with which I got the Power BI Report Server. 

I developed my Power BI Dashboard in Power BI Desktop.

Now, I'm trying to publish it in Power BI Report Server, and my Power BI File is not uploading in Power BI Report Server. 

Kindly require support on the above. 

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@niyati_61 wrote:

a) So, my question is when Power BI Report Server gets an update in January, (Along with it a compatible PB Report Server Desktop version will be available for download). [I assume my PBRS will also get automatically updated?]

No, there is no automatic updating for the Report Server version of Desktop. You will have to manually run the installer

@niyati_61 wrote:

b) So, then will my Power BI Desktop (Nov 2021) - Cloud Version File be compatible with Power BI Report Server (Jan 2022 Version). I mean would I be able to open my PB File in PBRS Desktop (Jan 2022 Version). That would mean, I wouldn’t have to rebuild my entire report again, right?

No this is not guaranteed. Report Server does not always support 100% of the features in the cloud version. I think the file formats would probably be compatible so it might open OK as long as you have not used functionality that is not supported in Report Server.

@niyati_61 wrote:

c) And now that PB Report Server will get updated 3 times a year; do I have to keep installing the new PB Report Server Desktop Version or will it get updated automatically, so my PB Report will still be working fine then, correct?

Each time you install an update to the server you would want to update your version of Desktop to the one that matches it so that you get full access to any new features

@niyati_61 wrote:

2) I need to clarify, when you work with PB Report Server;

Basically, now you will be able to access PB Report Server on the web (Which is kind of like PB Service), and you get a PB Report Server Desktop Version installed alongside right.

And now this Power BI Report Server Desktop which is installed is different from the regular Power BI Desktop we install. So, in order to actually make a report we have to work with PB RS Desktop ONLY and not the regular Power BI Desktop right?

3) Last thing, so basically my company purchased SQL Server Enterprise Edition 2019 with Software Assurance, so that we could get the PB Report Server along with it (We require strictly on-premises). And along with it my company also purchased 3 Pro Licenses (as you need Pro Version to develop and publish reports on the Report Server). I have the product keys.

So, question is that, basically how Pro works is that, I have Power BI Desktop (let’s say Nov 2021 Version), when Pro will be installed, basically it will be like an add on of extra features to the Desktop only right. (Like Power BI Pro doesn’t have a version number specifically).

So, now I need to install the Pro license also. Should I do it to the Power BI RS Desktop (Sep 2021 – Compatible Version), or do you recommend I wait till January for the PB RS update, and then install the compatible PBRS Desktop Version, which I then make as Pro. But this 2nd option is pointless right, as if I install Pro right now, it should automatically be updated with the Jan PBRS Desktop anyway to be compatible.

What I’m asking is, will my Pro installation product key be wasted If I use it on the wrong version of PB, or can I just reuse that product key?

And, Once you download Power BI, does it automatically get updated every month to the new version? Or do you have to manually update it?

Also, This is the first time I’m working with anything other than Power BI Desktop version, hence the confusion and all these questions. Thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate these solutions. You have been really helpful so far. 

You do not install "Pro" is not a product it's a license. The license will cover you for any version of Power BI Desktop (either the cloud or "report server"). But if you are only publishing reports on-prem you should only install the "Report Server" version of desktop. And that version does not auto-update because it needs to match the server version and the server is not auto-updated.

View solution in original post

Hi @d_gosbell ,

Thank you so much for the above solution. I was confused at the start, but now I'm clear at what to do. 

I'm going to install 'Power BI Desktop for Report Server' (The exact version which is compatible with my Power BI Report Server); I will then only use this 'Power BI Desktop for Report Server' Version to rebuild my Power BI Report now. And, now Power BI - Cloud Version will not be used further for me. 

And, as I'm able to use 'Power BI Desktop for Report Server' to build and publish reports to my Report Server currently, I will just start builiding my report here. Then I will later use the Pro License on this to upgrade it, and I hope my BI Report will work, be published on Report Server and shared with my team. 

Thank you! I really appreciate your support. 

I hope you have a great day. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
kp54357
Helper I
Helper I

Please update to latest version of power bi, Would suggest to download it from Microsoft store.

@kp54357 wrote:

Please update to latest version of power bi, Would suggest to download it from Microsoft store.

No No No - NEVER use the store version with Power BI Report Server. You must always use the version optimized for Report Server. Using the store version is what would lead to this sort of issue in the first place.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@niyati_61 wrote:

Power BI Desktop Version: 2.99.862.0 64-bit (November 2021)

This is the wrong version of Power BI Desktop to be using with Power BI Report Server. You should ALWAYS use the version of Power BI Desktop that matches your Report Server version or you will run into issues like this where you build reports using features that are not supported by Report Server. In the top right corner of your report server is a download menu, this will have a link where you can download the version of Desktop that matches your Report Server version. You will need to rebuild your report using that version of desktop (there is no automatic downgrading of reports)

Hi @d_gosbell ,

Thanks for the solution. 

So, as mentioned currently I have Power BI Desktop Version: 2.99.862.0 64-bit (November 2021).

I checked my Power BI Report Server; I currently have Power BI Report Server - September 2021.

It tells me I have to install this Power BI Desktop Version: 2.97.2222.0 (September 2021) and then it will be compatible with report server. 

1) So, If I download this Power BI Desktop version, my current Power BI Desktop which I have downloaded will be overwritten, and I will have to create my Power BI Report from the ground up as you mentioned right? 

2) Another question, say if my Power BI Report Server gets another update in a few months time, and I am on the Power BI Desktop September Version. From now on my desktop version will always be compatible with Power BI Report Server right? 

Eg: PBIRS Version September = PBI Desktop Version September - Compatible

PBIRS Version October = PBI Desktop Version September - Compatible

PBIRS Version September = PBI Desktop Version November - Incompatible

3) Last question, I will download Power BI Pro also, now inorder to be compatible with PBIRS (the same as above applies right), I will have to install Power Pro Version September or lower. 

Thanks! 

@niyati_61 wrote:

1) So, If I download this Power BI Desktop version, my current Power BI Desktop which I have downloaded will be overwritten, and I will have to create my Power BI Report from the ground up as you mentioned right? 

No, it will not be overwritten. It will be install side-by-side so you will have 2 versions of Power BI Desktop on your machine. This configuration is supported, but you as the author have to be very careful which version you use. The "Report Server" version has a little black "RS" in the bottom right corner as you can see below and the app will have the release month in it's title.

The screen shot below shows the Report Server version on top and the "standard" version under that - both installed on the same machine (the cloud version is the Nov 2021 release)

d_gosbell_1-1638913699685.png

But you will have to rebuild the report in the "RS" version. You can probably copy paste queries and measure expressions, but there is no automated way to downgrade to an older file format.

@niyati_61 wrote:

2) Another question, say if my Power BI Report Server gets another update in a few months time, and I am on the Power BI Desktop September Version. From now on my desktop version will always be compatible with Power BI Report Server right? 

Eg: PBIRS Version September = PBI Desktop Version September - Compatible

PBIRS Version October = PBI Desktop Version September - Compatible

PBIRS Version September = PBI Desktop Version November - Incompatible

Usually we update our version of "Power BI Desktop for Report Server" to match the server release. This way you can take advantage of improvements and new features that are released.

Note: PBIRS is releases updates 3 times a year in January, May and September and there is always a matching version of Desktop released with the server. (so there is no PBIRS Oct release)

@niyati_61 wrote:

3) Last question, I will download Power BI Pro also, now inorder to be compatible with PBIRS (the same as above applies right), I will have to install Power Pro Version September or lower. 

To work with Pro and deploy to the Power BI Service (app.powerbi.com) you have 2 choices. You can either use the same version of Desktop that you use with Report Server. Or as noted in the answer to Q1 you can have both versions of Power BI Desktop installed at the same time. You just need to be VERY careful which version you use to build your reports.

A newer version of desktop can open files from an older release, but once you've saved a file in a newer version the file format may be updated and you may no longer be able to open it in the old version. This is a problem for the PBIRS version of Desktop since it is only updated 3 times a year so it is nearly always out of date compared to the "standard" version of Desktop.

Hi @d_gosbell ,

1) As mentioned currently I have Power BI Desktop (Nov 2021) - Cloud Version, and Power BI Desktop Report Server (Sep 2021 Version).

As you said, I will have to rebuild my entire Power BI Report (As it is not possible to downgrade to an older file format).

a) So, my question is when Power BI Report Server gets an update in January, (Along with it a compatible PB Report Server Desktop version will be available for download). [I assume my PBRS will also get automatically updated?]

b) So, then will my Power BI Desktop (Nov 2021) - Cloud Version File be compatible with Power BI Report Server (Jan 2022 Version). I mean would I be able to open my PB File in PBRS Desktop (Jan 2022 Version). That would mean, I wouldn’t have to rebuild my entire report again, right?

c) And now that PB Report Server will get updated 3 times a year; do I have to keep installing the new PB Report Server Desktop Version or will it get updated automatically, so my PB Report will still be working fine then, correct?

Basically, now you will be able to access PB Report Server on the web (Which is kind of like PB Service), and you get a PB Report Server Desktop Version installed alongside right.

And now this Power BI Report Server Desktop which is installed is different from the regular Power BI Desktop we install. So, in order to actually make a report we have to work with PB RS Desktop ONLY and not the regular Power BI Desktop right?

3) Last thing, so basically my company purchased SQL Server Enterprise Edition 2019 with Software Assurance, so that we could get the PB Report Server along with it (We require strictly on-premises). And along with it my company also purchased 3 Pro Licenses (as you need Pro Version to develop and publish reports on the Report Server). I have the product keys.

So, question is that, basically how Pro works is that, I have Power BI Desktop (let’s say Nov 2021 Version), when Pro will be installed, basically it will be like an add on of extra features to the Desktop only right. (Like Power BI Pro doesn’t have a version number specifically).

So, now I need to install the Pro license also. Should I do it to the Power BI RS Desktop (Sep 2021 – Compatible Version), or do you recommend I wait till January for the PB RS update, and then install the compatible PBRS Desktop Version, which I then make as Pro. But this 2nd option is pointless right, as if I install Pro right now, it should automatically be updated with the Jan PBRS Desktop anyway to be compatible.

What I’m asking is, will my Pro installation product key be wasted If I use it on the wrong version of PB, or can I just reuse that product key?

And, Once you download Power BI, does it automatically get updated every month to the new version? Or do you have to manually update it?

Also, This is the first time I’m working with anything other than Power BI Desktop version, hence the confusion and all these questions. Thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate these solutions. You have been really helpful so far. 

@niyati_61 wrote:

No, there is no automatic updating for the Report Server version of Desktop. You will have to manually run the installer

@niyati_61 wrote:

No this is not guaranteed. Report Server does not always support 100% of the features in the cloud version. I think the file formats would probably be compatible so it might open OK as long as you have not used functionality that is not supported in Report Server.

@niyati_61 wrote:

Each time you install an update to the server you would want to update your version of Desktop to the one that matches it so that you get full access to any new features

@niyati_61 wrote:

You do not install "Pro" is not a product it's a license. The license will cover you for any version of Power BI Desktop (either the cloud or "report server"). But if you are only publishing reports on-prem you should only install the "Report Server" version of desktop. And that version does not auto-update because it needs to match the server version and the server is not auto-updated.

Hi @d_gosbell ,

Thank you so much for the above solution. I was confused at the start, but now I'm clear at what to do. 

I'm going to install 'Power BI Desktop for Report Server' (The exact version which is compatible with my Power BI Report Server); I will then only use this 'Power BI Desktop for Report Server' Version to rebuild my Power BI Report now. And, now Power BI - Cloud Version will not be used further for me. 

And, as I'm able to use 'Power BI Desktop for Report Server' to build and publish reports to my Report Server currently, I will just start builiding my report here. Then I will later use the Pro License on this to upgrade it, and I hope my BI Report will work, be published on Report Server and shared with my team. 

Thank you! I really appreciate your support. 

I hope you have a great day. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.