Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbi1990
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server Embedding URL with iFrame and avoiding the authentication popup

Hi,

I have an on-premise Power BI Report Server.

I want to Embed certain reports to my webapp. From the documentation I have understood that it's only possible via iFrame tag. But when I try to access it from my webapp, it pops up an authentication box asking for credentials. 

Is there any way to silently pass credentials and avoid the popup?

I tried to workaround this by first making an authenticated REST API call, and then enabling the the iframe div so that it takes the session from the successful REST API call prior. But it still shows the popup.

Immediate Help is highly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi, Did you find a solution to this? Is there a better way to embed PBIRS reports in 2023?

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@powerbi1990 wrote:

Is there any way to silently pass credentials and avoid the popup?

It should work this way by default. Are your web server and PBIRS server joined to the same domain? Are your users also logged in to this domain?

The report server is installed on-premise on a separate domain. Webapp is hosted in separate domain. Webapp stores the report server credentials, and is able to call the report server REST APIs perfectly via ntlm/windows basic authentication. But when I try to embed any report in one of the pages of my webapp, it gives a popup asking to enter the credentials. I would like to do that silently, as my webapp already knows the creds.

@powerbi1990 wrote:

But when I try to embed any report in one of the pages of my webapp, it gives a popup asking to enter the credentials. I would like to do that silently, as my webapp already knows the creds.

Yes, because if you use an iframe then the report server has to do it's own authentication. I'm not aware of any way that you can pass credentials into an iframe. This is more of a web developer topic than something specific to report server

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.