Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stokkolm

Power BI Report Server Edition Upgrade

My instance of Power BI Reporting Services was originally installed as an evaluation version. It expired today and I need to upgrade it to Enterprise edition. I already have the SQL key and I have ALREADY attempted to run the PowerBI2017 installer to perform an upgrade, however the installer is telling me that it can't run until the edition is upgraded. The current version is Nov 2017 and I am try to install with the latest version from Microsoft. I have tried to track down the original installer for the version that is installed, but haven't had any luck so far. An image of the error is attached. How can I upgrade the edition if the installer is failing for the same reason? Am I out of luck because it has already expired? 

PowerBIFail.PNG

Edit: The current version installed is the Oct 2017 Nov 1 update and I was attempting to use the Jan 10 upgrader.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The CD key was good, that was either a corruption issue or a bug I think. I ended up uninstalling and re-installing and it worked fine. I just had to reconfigure reporting services, but I had a backup of the encryption keys, so it went smoothly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Stokkolm

Small update. I went into the Uninstaller and there is an option to upgrade the edition there. However, when I enter the CD Key and click Next it throws an error stating the specified file could not be found.

Hi @Stokkolm,

Please ensure the entered KEY is valid. You could find the Product Key for Power BI Report Server within the Capacity settings tab of the Power BI admin portal if you have purchased Power BI Premium. Alternatively, if you have a SQL Server Enterprise SA agreement, you can get your product key from the Volume Licensing Service Center. 

By the way, what error message did you see after entering the Key.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The CD key was good, that was either a corruption issue or a bug I think. I ended up uninstalling and re-installing and it worked fine. I just had to reconfigure reporting services, but I had a backup of the encryption keys, so it went smoothly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.