Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

meAsking
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server + Dynamics 365 : how to refresh?

Hello community! 

Please, help to solve my issue. I set up a power bi report server and published a report. The data source for the report is dynamics 365 crm system (cloud). When I developed the report in desktop version I used my organisational credentials to connect to dynamics system. Now I need some system user in order to connect my report on server to cloud crm. I asked our devops for the new system user, and they created one according to this https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/manage-application-users#create-an-applicatio... As a result I received the user looking like the real one, with login and pass. Instead of that power bi server expects to receive from me some key?.. I started investigation and found several topics which said that this type of connection is impossible, but those articles might be outdated (they were written in 2019). 

Could someone please help to clarify how to deal with this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @meAsking ,

This is a documented limitation here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources

Dynamics 365 is not supported for scheduled refresh, it can only use cached data (ie. data that has been loaded in Power BI Desktop). If you need to do scheduled refresh of Dynamics 365 data you either need to publish your report on powerbi.com, not on Report Server or you would need to use some other tool to copy the data to a local source like a SQL Server which does support scheduled refresh.

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @meAsking ,

This is a documented limitation here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources

Dynamics 365 is not supported for scheduled refresh, it can only use cached data (ie. data that has been loaded in Power BI Desktop). If you need to do scheduled refresh of Dynamics 365 data you either need to publish your report on powerbi.com, not on Report Server or you would need to use some other tool to copy the data to a local source like a SQL Server which does support scheduled refresh.

Best Regards

Lucien

@v-luwang-msft thank you! Could you please advice any native tool to transfer data to server? I read about azure tools,but I'm not sure this will work with on-premise sql server.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.