Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andyw324
Regular Visitor

Power BI Report Server - API error

I am having issues with allowing certain "Power Users" access to the Power BI Report Server APIs via URLs. For example when such users try to access https://.../reports/api/v2.0/CatalogItems  they receive the following error:

{
  "error":{
    "code":"1251","message":"An error occurred when invoking the authorization extension."
  }
}

And the Power BI Report Server logs return the following error (RSPortal_###.log):

OData exception occurred: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.AuthorizationExtensionException: An error occurred when invoking the authorization extension.
... stack trace...

Sending response. Response code <Domain\Username> 500...

Our setup use Windows Authentication with RSWindowsNegotiate and RSWindowsNTLM enabled and no custom extensions. When said users are added to the "Administrators" local group on the server hosting Power BI Report Server, the error goes away.

We are currently on the August 2018 version of Power BI Report Server sitting on top of SQL Server 2016 (13.0.4224.16).

I'm reluctant to add these "Power Users" to the local Administrators group for obvious reasons but this seems to be the only workaround I can see.

Strange thing is that the users were able to access the URL fine yesterday and all of a sudden are not able to access today. Also, there have been no reported changes to AD group / user security policies.

Any suggestions to what may be the cause of the issue and of any better work arounds would be most welcome.

Thanks

Andrew

3 REPLIES 3
kg2140

Were you able to resolve this?  We are now facing this issue and can't find real solution.  But the adding as an admin to the server does fix the issue.

andyw324
Regular Visitor

Has anyone else encountered this or shed any light on what may be the cause? The service account does already have delegated authority to pass down credentials so not sure what is the root cause.

Is there any way to explicity allow / deny access to the PBIRS / SSRS API?

Anonymous
Not applicable

i too am facing the same issue. In my case also, it suddenly started to throw this error. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.