Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Report Builder and SSRS Report Manager

Hello, 

I would like to build a paginated report with Power BI Report Builder using a shared Power BI dataset, and then publish the paginated report to an SSRS Report Manger. I get the following error message when trying to run the report on SSRS Report Manger 2016 or Power BI Report Manager 2017.

• An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
    • An attempt has been made to use a data extension 'PBIDATASET' that is either not registered for this report server or is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services. (rsDataExtensionNotFound)

Do I need a higher version of SSRS Report Manager?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
saglamtimur
Resolver II
Resolver II

SSRS currently does not support shared Power BI datasets. Yes, you can connect via Power BI Report Builder, but can not publish.

If my post solved your problem, mark my post as a solution to help others to quickly find it and also please give it a 👍

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @saglamtimur ,

That is unfortunate.

KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous 

May be this link will help https://www.sqlshack.com/sql-server-reporting-services-ssrs-shared-dataset/#:~:text=In%20the%20SQL%20Server%20Reporting,multiple%20reports%20to%20retrieve%20data.

Also a tool update helps in most cases :).

Best,

Kathrin 

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply @KBO ,

We have a Power BI Data Model that took quite a bit of effort to develop and has all of the data needed for writing reports.

My ultimate is to somehow be able to use that data model to build SSRS reports. It would be nice to be able to use the Power BI shared dataset as a SSRS shared dataset, or some how import the Power BI Data Model into SQL Server with all of the table relationships.

Using Analysis Services tabular is really the only option currently for sharing data sets on-prem. You *might* be able to connect to the Power BI file using Tabular Editor and then deploy that to a SSAS Tabular instance. I have not tried this, but it may be possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @d_gosbell ,

That sounds promising and echos some of the research that I've been doing. I will head down that path and post my results when I get them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.