Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PenelopePitstop

Power BI Report Builder And/OR parameters

Hi, I'm new to Power BI and am currently looking at how I can use Report Builder to provide end users the options to filter the datasets using combinations of parameters but with the flexibility of being able to toggle between AND and OR in some way. Is this possible and if so, how (without having to edit the query each time)?  Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
PenelopePitstop

Thank you for your reply. I can see that these options are available in Power BI Desktop, but I'm struggling to find them in Power BI Report Builder. Would you be able to provide some more detail and/or (pardon the pun!) screenshots?

jaweher899
Super User
Super User

it is possible to provide end users the option to filter datasets using combinations of parameters and toggle between AND and OR in Power BI Report Builder. You can achieve this by using the advanced filtering options available in Power BI Report Builder. Here's a high-level overview of the steps you can follow:

1. Add your dataset to the report canvas and create a new parameter for each filter that you want to allow the end user to control.

2. In the report visualization (table, matrix, etc.), go to the "Visualizations" pane and select the "Filters" option.

3. In the "Filters" pane, add each parameter as a filter and set the filter type to "Advanced".

4. In the "Advanced Filter" dialog, use the combination of AND/OR statements and the parameters to define the filter logic. For example, you can use the expression "Parameter 1 = 'value 1' AND Parameter 2 = 'value 2'" to filter the data based on the two parameters.

5. Repeat the steps for each parameter and filter combination that you want to allow the end user to control.

6. Publish the report to the Power BI Service and test the filters to make sure they work as expected.

By following these steps, you should be able to provide end users with the flexibility to filter the datasets using combinations of parameters and toggle between AND and OR in Power BI Report Builder.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.