Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gringo89
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI RS: error connection on SSAS with windows authentification

Hi,

We have got an error when i want to connect with power bi report on SSAS datasource.

The connection on SSAS is with authentification windows of connected user and i have this error :

|ERROR|22|PBI.Win.DataExtensionException|ExceptionType:Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Contracts.DataExtensionException;DataExtensionErrorDetails:Details: Message=Failed to open the MSOLAP connection., HResult=0x80004005, ErrorCode=OpenConnectionError, Language=en-US, ProviderErrorCode=0x00000000, ProviderErrorMessage=[7A59B7A8A1D3F5DFF802B686DA37E746230D73D342093788372E08D29F9BAF29], ProviderGenericMessage=[Error Code = 0x00000000, External Code = 0x00000000:.], ErrorSource=PowerBI, ErrorSourceOrigin=MsolapWrapper, OnPremErrorCode=, InnerErrorDetails=[Type=MsolapWrapper.MsolapWrapperException, Message=Could not initialize connection];stackTrace: à Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Msolap.Connection.OpenImpl()
à Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Contracts.Utilities.RunSynchronously(Action action)

When I forced the user authentification, the connection to SSAS is OK.

Report Server and SSAS are on different server.

Please, Can you help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@gringo89 wrote:

There is not SPN configured on SSAS server. Do you think it's the trouble?

Yes, if SSAS and PBIRS are on separate servers then you will need to have SPNs and Constrained Delegation configured in order to get Kerberos Authentication working (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-kerberos-powerbi-reports)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gringo89
Helper I
Helper I

@gringo89 wrote:

Yes, if SSAS and PBIRS are on separate servers then you will need to have SPNs and Constrained Delegation configured in order to get Kerberos Authentication working (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-kerberos-powerbi-reports)

I've already tried to manage this but delegation tab doesn't appear in ADUC ... I already manage SPNs and some of them already exists for my PBIRS service account (SVCUserSQL for example either on HTTP and OLAP). I don't find a solution ...

Can you help me ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors