Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndreasWWW
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Pro license on SQL Server license

I am thinking of using Power BI report server through the SQL Server license. 
It is my understanding that I will also need to purchase Power BI pro licenses for users that will publish reports.

Is there any way of actually assigning these pro licenses to those specific users?

Or is this a matter of good faith and the ability to publish reports is always present, but it is the admins responsibility to manage permissions of different users?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, you are right, anyone can publish a report on PBIRS. But as per the software agreement, you must have a Pro license even to publish on PBIRS. In your case whoever is the local user, you must purchase him an individual license for Power BI so that he can publish the reports in PBIRS.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AndreasWWW
Frequent Visitor

But if you're only on-premise and have access to report server through the sql server license, you won't have access to the azure portal i assume? 

In this case, you must have some organizational or school account that will need an Office 365 subscription or Buy a Power BI Pro License

You can either

Power BI Pro - signup (microsoft.com)

or you may also consider

Office 365 E5 | Microsoft

If you purchase a Power BI pro license, I assume it will not be directly associated with the report server user? From my understanding when running report server completely locally there are no way of assigning pro licenses, instead it is up to the users to make sure you have a pro license if you need to publish reports.

Yes, you are right, anyone can publish a report on PBIRS. But as per the software agreement, you must have a Pro license even to publish on PBIRS. In your case whoever is the local user, you must purchase him an individual license for Power BI so that he can publish the reports in PBIRS.

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

Publishing reports to your Production environment requires Pro License.

If you publish Power BI reports to Power BI Report Server, you also need a Power BI Pro license. You don't need a Power BI Pro license to view and interact with Power BI reports on Power BI Report Server.

Ref: What is Power BI Report Server? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Is there any way of actually assigning these pro licenses to those specific users?

Yes, Thru your Azure AD User Admin portal you can assign Pro licenses to individual users 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.