cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Premium - which SQL server edition for catalog ?

Hi all,

My organization recently bought Power BI premium. Now i'm installing the Reportserver and i am at the point of installing the reportserver catalog databases. I will use a dedicated sql server for those databases.

Can I use SQL Server 2017 Express Edition or other free version for the Reportserver databases? I read some messages in this forum but the answers are not consistent. Some say Enterprise edition is needed, others say Express will be sufficient. Can anybody provide clarity?

thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Power BI Premium - which SQL server edition for catalog ?

Hi @Anonymous,

Can I use SQL Server 2017 Express Edition or other free version for the Reportserver databases?

Yes. You can use SQL Server free version to host Power BI Report Server database.

I guess someone says "Enterprise edition is needed" might mean if you have purchased SQL Server Enterprise Edition + Software Assurance, then, you don't need to purchase Power BI Report Server product key separately.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Power BI Premium - which SQL server edition for catalog ?

Hi @v-yulgu-msft ,

Thanks for your response. Good to hear its possible to use the free SQL edition. Is advanced features necessary?

Furthermore, Express has 10 GB size limitation. We're starting to use PBIRS so the data will grow and in the beginning Express will be sufficient I guess. But is it 'smart' to use Express Edition ? No sql server agent, no automatic backups.. Introducing Power BI into the organization is very important, so i would like to have a good start.

Kind regards.