Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Paginated Report parameters with (Null) values

Hi,  Would like to ask for some help with the Paginated report parameters. We have one power bi paginated report for which  datsource is power bi dataset. Requirement here is to make report parameters as optional , We have selected Allow null value as YES under parameter properties so in that case user doesn't need to select parameter value, by defaul (null) will be selected for the parameter. so requirement here is,  with (null) value selection all the underlying value of parameter should be pass in the report DAX query. To make the scenerio more clear, here is the example . Suppose I have one report parameter named as EnteredCurrency and EnteredCurrency parameter having three values (EUR,GBP,USD) so if by default (null) is passing for EnteredCurrency parameter then EUR,GBP,USD should be pass in the underlying report DAX query. 

Report DAX Query is :

EVALUATE SUMMARIZECOLUMNS

(

'ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Accounting_Date],

'ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency],

'ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Accounting_Period],

FILTER(VALUES('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency]), ('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency] = @EnteredCurrency))

)

Gaurav_Chauhan_0-1646732320152.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So if you want to handle the scenario where they either pick on currency or by default if the parameter is null they get all of them then you could use the COALESCE function. What coalesce does is to return the first non-null value, so if the parameter is null it will return the value of the parameter itself

(

FILTER(VALUES('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency]), ('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency] = COALESCE( @EnteredCurrency, 'ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency] )))

)

A similar alternative if you want to use a dropdown list in your parameter is to union on a value like "<ALL>" in the query for you parameter values then use an IF to check for this.

FILTER(VALUES('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency]), ('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency] = IF( @EnteredCurrency = "<ALL>", 'ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency], @EnteredCurrency )

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @d_gosbell ,

Thanks for the prompt response. 

I have tried both the solution provided by you and seems second approach is working. I have done it for one parameter initially to test the logic that worked but when I applied the same thing on original report with all the parameters then report is running for so long and then finally getting the error. We have total 9 parameters. Can you pls suggest something in this regard ?

Gaurav_Chauhan_0-1647349459819.png

@Anonymous wrote:

when I applied the same thing on original report with all the parameters then report is running for so long and then finally getting the error. We have total 9 parameters. Can you pls suggest something in this regard ?

So the other approach that I've used is a lot more complex, but it basically involves only using report level parameters and not passing any of them to the dataset or query then constructing your query as an expression by clicking the little "fx" button next to the query text in the dataset properties.

d_gosbell_0-1647379548363.png

Then you build your query up as a vba expression something like the following. It gets tricky trying to get the quoting correct, but it does work. I have a report with 16 parameters where the users wanted to also use * as a wildcard so BL* will search for values starting with "BL" and I do this using this technique.

="EVALUATE SUMMARIZECOLUMNS

(

" & iif( Parameters!EnteredCurrency.Value <> "<ALL>", "

FILTER(VALUES('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency]), 'ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency] = """ & Parameters!EnteredCurrency.Value & """)" ) &

")"

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So if you want to handle the scenario where they either pick on currency or by default if the parameter is null they get all of them then you could use the COALESCE function. What coalesce does is to return the first non-null value, so if the parameter is null it will return the value of the parameter itself

(

FILTER(VALUES('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency]), ('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency] = COALESCE( @EnteredCurrency, 'ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency] )))

)

A similar alternative if you want to use a dropdown list in your parameter is to union on a value like "<ALL>" in the query for you parameter values then use an IF to check for this.

FILTER(VALUES('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency]), ('ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency] = IF( @EnteredCurrency = "<ALL>", 'ART REP048 UKGAAP'[Entered_Currency], @EnteredCurrency )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.