Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Paginated Report Builder Dataset run error -- 'System.OutofMemoryException'

Good Afternoon,

I was wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot an error I am receieving when attempting to run and create a paginated report in PowerBI Report Builder..

The error is : "Exception of type 'System.OutofMemoryException' was thrown.

Within the Report builder, I create a Data Set and use the connection string listed in the "Server Settings" location for that Data Set in the Web Power BI (Premium). I then select all of fields I need from that Data Set to query and finish completing the data set. I can run the report with 3 fields selected. However, when I attempt to run a report with more than 3 (17 total) I receive this error. I am not sure why I would be getting a 'System.OutofMemoryException' when I am connecting to a dataset and not an actual database? 

Any thoughts? Are there certain settings that would have to be configured in the PowerBI Workspace where the Data Set sits? 

7 REPLIES 7
PaulPed4
Helper II
Helper II

I'm having the exact same issue and would really appreciate a solution...

If either of you can send me a generic repro or describe exactly what to do, we will take a look and see if it is an issue we can fix. bradsy@removethistextmicrosoft.com

The one thing Report Builder does not do is throttle the query. If you are pulling from a data source that has a lot of data to design a report, I would suggest you add a top xxxx on your query. When it comes time to publish, remove the top xxxx

@bradsy I am getting this same error when using Power BI Report Builder or Visual Studio to connect to a Power BI Premium Dataset.

If I have  less than 3 fields, the report will render but otherwise it gives the out of memory error in both Power BI Report Builder and Visual Studio.  I tested with Power BI Report Builder on 2 PCs and received the same error on both.

The actual query returns relatively quickly in the query designer and is not a lot of data.

Thanks bradsy, I emailed you.

ITGeek555
Helper II
Helper II

Given the fact that this is the Power BI Report Server (PBIRS) forum I will assume you plan to push the report to PBIRS.

1. I have had the same issue with Report Builder.  It is a 32 bit application and therefore is limited to the VAS memory space (limit 2GB).  If your workstation has a lot of applications open then it is possible for Report Builder to run out of addressable RAM.  Restart you workstation and only run Report Builder to see if the issue re-occurs.
  2. Another approach would be to upload the full report (all 17 fields) to PBIRS and see how the 64 bit reporting services engine behaves.

Same issue happening with me; seems Report Builder gives the out of memoery when it reaches 1200MB of memory use.
If I filter my data to a smaller set, the report runs fine.
Is there a 64 bit version of Report Builder?

Updating this post with some new findings; I noticed that if I decrease the number of parameters on the report from 8 to 2, I am able to bring in more data before I get the out of memory issue. So with 8 parameters it couldn't return 175k rows, but with 2 parameters it returned a little over 175k rows. These parameters are simple == nothing complicated.

Thank you,

Hi paulboolos,

There is no plan for a 64 bit version at this time. The processing of data is fairly memory intensive. If you can off load some of the processing to the data source, like pre-aggregating data, that would help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors