Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zalkier

Power BI Embedded and Stored Procedure parameter passing

Hello everyone,

this is my first post, so I hope I am posting in the correct part of the forum.

I have been searching for an answer for this question but so far I haven't found an answer. At the moment my company is evaluating the possibility of changing some solutions to Power BI.
We access most of our information through Stored Procedures from SQL Server, which receive parameters in order to give dynamic results, this is required because we have a KPI engine inside our database which calculates them on-the-fly.
At the moment we use Tableau embedded inside our Web Application, but Tableau has big performance issues with Stored Procedures, and we were looking at Power BI if it could be the alternative that could solve our performance issues, but from what I could find, at the moment Power BI is not able to receive parameters via URL and pass them to a Stored Procedure, correct?

Also we require it to be On-Premises.

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is correct. Paramaters in the URL are linked to table(s) inside your Power BI application. So for example, if your power bi report has a table with employee name, then in the URL you are going to put the employee id and your report is going to filtered by this employee. But it won't modify the original query that is populating your report. 

In the idea section, you can vote for this:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/10840230-parameters

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/20367082-passing-parameters-to-po...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.